Surfaces and geodesics in General Relativity

In summary, the problem involves considering a family of hypersurfaces defined by a constant function and requiring that each hypersurface be a null hypersurface. The task is to show that a specific curve, which intersects each hypersurface orthogonally, is a null geodesic. The condition for this to be true is also found, and the results are interpreted in terms of waves and rays. The reader is looking for some guidance on how to approach the problem.
student85
Hi all. This is one of the problems that I was asked to do for my General Relativity class. I know this may look a little long, but if anyone can help me out with ANYTHING about this problem, I will greatly appreciate it.

Homework Statement

Consider the family of hypersurfaces where each member is defined by the constancy of the function S(xc) over that hypersurface and further require that each hypersurface be a null hypersurface in the sense that its normal vector field, na = S|a , be a null vector field.
Let ¡ be a member of the family of curves that pierces each such hypersurface orthogonally, meaning that the tangent vector to ¡, say ka, is everywhere collinear with the vector na at the point of piercing. Show that ¡ is a null geodesic and find the condition on the relation between na and ka that allows the geodesic equation to be written in the simple form ka||bka = 0.
Interpret your results in terms of waves and rays.

Homework Equations

The geodesic equation: [tex]\ddot{x}[/tex]e + [tex]\Gamma[/tex]emb[tex]\dot{x}[/tex]m [tex]\dot{x}[/tex]b = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

By reading through the problem it is not very hard to get the hang of what it is saying, and it seems pretty clear that [itex]\Gamma[/itex] must be a null surface. But I don't know where to get started in showing that it is a "null geodesic", and how to derive at the simple geodesic equation they give. I'm just very stuck here. If anyone can give me a little hint I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
No relativists here? :S

Related to Surfaces and geodesics in General Relativity

1. What is the significance of surfaces in General Relativity?

Surfaces play a crucial role in General Relativity as they represent the 3-dimensional space in which objects exist. The curvature of these surfaces is directly related to the distribution of matter and energy in the universe, as described by Einstein's field equations.

2. How are surfaces and geodesics related in General Relativity?

Geodesics are the paths that objects follow in the curved space of General Relativity. These paths are determined by the curvature of the surface, which is in turn influenced by the distribution of matter and energy. Therefore, the curvature of surfaces and the paths of geodesics are intimately connected in General Relativity.

3. What is the difference between a geodesic and a straight line?

In Euclidean geometry, a straight line is the shortest path between two points. However, in General Relativity, the curvature of space means that the shortest path is a geodesic. While geodesics may appear curved in 3-dimensional space, they are the straightest possible paths in the curved space of General Relativity.

4. How do surfaces and geodesics relate to gravity?

In General Relativity, gravity is not a force between objects, but rather a result of the curvature of space. The distribution of matter and energy on the surface of space determines this curvature, and the paths of geodesics are affected by this curvature. Therefore, the concept of surfaces and geodesics is essential in understanding the nature of gravity in General Relativity.

5. Can surfaces and geodesics be visualized?

While surfaces and geodesics can be represented mathematically, it is challenging to visualize them in 3-dimensional space. However, various techniques, such as embedding diagrams and computer simulations, can help to provide a visual representation of these concepts. These visualizations can aid in understanding the complex nature of General Relativity.