Surface Tension of Water: The Effects of Syrup on Surface Tension

In summary, the conversation revolves around the effect of syrup on the surface tension of water. The context of the question is understanding the sensitivity of water to contamination and the possibility of increasing surface tension with the addition of syrup. However, it is noted that the interfacial energy of a solution is always lower than that of pure solvent. The original question remains unanswered due to lack of specifics such as type of syrup, ratio, and temperature. The video mentioned in the conversation is acknowledged as a joke, but it does not stop the individual from considering the physical aspects of the scenario.
KayEl9
Hello. I'd like to ask: does syrup increase or reduce the surface tension of water? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
KayEl9 said:
Hello. I'd like to ask: does syrup increase or reduce the surface tension of water? Thanks.

What is the context of your question? Why do you ask?

Water is very sensitive to contamination- small impurities can have large effects on the interfacial energy- specifically, the interfacial energy will drastically drop.

If you are looking for a quantitative number, you have to be more specific- what kind of syrup? what is the ratio syrup/water? what temperature?

Well, I think I should've explained it in the question :)

I'm just thinking about the surface tension because of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ctaA2mERzI"
I think it could theoretically be possible if the surface tension was strong enough and not disturbed by things such as bubbles etc. And I was thinking if it would be more realistic if syrup (or something else) was added to the water. I just don't know if the syrup would increase or reduce the surface tension.

EDIT: Andy Resnick: So does the first line of your post mean that there isn't any substance that could increase the surface tension (because it would always mean polluting the water)?

Last edited by a moderator:
You do realize the video is a trick/joke, right?

AFAIK, the interfacial energy of a solution is always less than the pure solvent.

Yes, I realize that. But that doesn't have to prevent me from thinking of the psychical side of it.
Anyway, thanks for your answers.

Related to Surface Tension of Water: The Effects of Syrup on Surface Tension

1. What is surface tension and how does it affect water?

Surface tension is the force that holds the molecules of a liquid together at its surface. In water, this force is caused by the attraction between water molecules, which creates a "skin" on the surface of the water. This allows certain objects, like insects, to float on top of the water.

2. How does syrup affect the surface tension of water?

Syrup, being a viscous liquid, has a higher surface tension than water. When added to water, it increases the surface tension of the mixture. This is because the sugar molecules in syrup are larger and have stronger intermolecular forces, making it harder for them to break through the surface of the water.

3. Can surface tension be measured and if so, how?

Yes, surface tension can be measured using a device called a tensiometer. This instrument measures the force required to pull a wire or plate out of the surface of a liquid. The higher the force needed, the higher the surface tension of the liquid.

4. What are the practical applications of studying surface tension of water?

Understanding surface tension of water is important in many industrial and scientific fields. It can help with developing more effective cleaning agents, designing water-repellent materials, and even studying the behavior of insects and other small organisms on water surfaces.

5. Can other substances besides syrup affect the surface tension of water?

Yes, other substances can also affect the surface tension of water. For example, adding soap or detergent to water can decrease its surface tension, while adding salt can increase it. Other factors such as temperature and pressure can also influence surface tension.