Surface Tension, find number of stitches to be made

In summary, the tension in the skin of the left ventricle is 4.90 N/m and a 4 cm cut is made during surgery. Each stitch can support a tension of 0.4 N. To repair the cut, 29 stitches are needed. However, this answer may not be accurate as it does not take into account the width of the gap between stitches and the desired width of the wound closure. Further information is needed to calculate the number of stitches accurately.
Ishraq Begum

Homework Statement

The tension in the skin of the left ventricle of heart is 4.90 N/m. A cut is made on the left ventricle during surgery. How many stitches must be used to repair the cut? Each stitch will safely support a tension of 0.4 N.

Homework Equations

Surface tension = force/length

The Attempt at a Solution

Total surface tension = 4.90 N/m
Length = 2 x 4 x 10-2 m
n = number of stitches
n = 4.90 x 0.08/0.4
I'm sure that's not correct

Physics news on Phys.org
Ishraq Begum said:
Length = 2 x 4 x 10-2 m
Where does this come from?

haruspex said:
Where does this come from?
I don't really know, I'm confused. I thought when force due to surface tension acts on an object, it acts on both the sides of it.

Ishraq Begum said:
I don't really know, I'm confused. I thought when force due to surface tension acts on an object, it acts on both the sides of it.
No, I mean where does your length information come from. I do not see any in the problem statement. Is it a 4cm cut?
Are you sure your other data are correct? They imply you only need a stitch every 8cm, which is much too far. Perhaps only 0.04N per stitch?

haruspex said:
No, I mean where does your length information come from. I do not see any in the problem statement. Is it a 4cm cut?
Are you sure your other data are correct? They imply you only need a stitch every 8cm, which is much too far. Perhaps only 0.04N per stitch?
I'm pretty sure the question is correct.

Last edited:
Ishraq Begum said:
I'm pretty sure the question is correct.
You still have not answered my question about how you got this equation.
Ishraq Begum said:
Length = 2 x 4 x 10-2 m
It looks like you have information that something is 8cm long, but there is nothing matching that in your problem statement. Did you leave something out?

haruspex said:
You still have not answered my question about how you got this equation.

It looks like you have information that something is 8cm long, but there is nothing matching that in your problem statement. Did you leave something out?

The length equation, I'm not sure if its correct. I was taught that when surface tension acts on a object, it acts on both the sides of an object. Therefore I multiplied 2 with the length of the cut.

Oh, I'm so sorry. I forgot to mention the length of the cut. Here's the complete question:

The tension in the skin of the left ventricle of heart is 4.90 N/m. A 4 cm cut is made on the left ventricle during surgery. How many stitches must be used to repair the cut? Each stitch will safely support a tension of 0.4 N.

Ishraq Begum said:
Therefore I multiplied 2 with the length of the cut.
The tension in the stitch also acts on both sides, so no need to multiply by two.

haruspex said:
The tension in the stitch also acts on both sides, so no need to multiply by two.
Okay. How do I proceed after that?

Ishraq Begum said:
Okay. How do I proceed after that?
I'm not at all sure. It depends on how advanced the question is supposed to be.
Taken at a very simple level, I do your calculation, but without the x2, and find one stitch to be just enough. But intuitively that is wrong, which is why I queried the data.
A typical stitch spacing would be only a few mm.

It is intuitively wrong, not because the stitch would give way, perhaps, but because it would not do a very good job of closing the wound. Given the surface tension, you may be able to calculate how wide the gap between the wound edge would be between two stitches at a given separation. But you would need info on how wide the gap is allowed to be.

Can you relate this to anything you have been taught?

Last edited:
The Answer here is 29 stitches but I have no idea how to go through it...

George Cosmas said:
The Answer here is 29 stitches but I have no idea how to go through it...
Please clarify.
Are you saying you have been given the identical question and are told the answer is 29?
Or do you have some formula by which you calculate 29, but cannot explain the basis of the formula?
Or... what?

Related to Surface Tension, find number of stitches to be made

1. What is surface tension?

Surface tension is the measure of how difficult it is to break or stretch the surface of a liquid. It is caused by the cohesive forces between liquid molecules.

2. How is surface tension measured?

Surface tension is typically measured in units of force per unit length, such as newtons per meter (N/m) or dynes per centimeter (dyn/cm).

3. How does surface tension affect the number of stitches needed?

The number of stitches needed is directly affected by surface tension. Higher surface tension means that the liquid will have a stronger pull on the needle, resulting in more stitches per unit length.

4. How can surface tension be changed?

Surface tension can be changed by altering the properties of the liquid, such as its temperature, composition, or the presence of surfactants (substances that lower surface tension).

5. Is surface tension the same for all liquids?

No, surface tension varies depending on the type of liquid. For example, water has a higher surface tension than alcohol due to the stronger cohesive forces between water molecules.