Surface Tension: Exploring the Direction of Drag on a Circular Plate

In summary: Since NBAJam is not 100% sure about this, I would request some other member from PF to please guide me.
ritwik06
I have been studying surface tension from my textbook, when I came across a question in which a thin circular plate is placed over water. The surface tension of the water is given. The minimum force required to pull away the circular plate is asked. The dilemma, I am in is in which direction will the water molecules pull the plate when it is dragged on the surface?

All I have read about surface tension is that the direction is along the surface of fluid and perpendicular to th plate periphery. But there are two possibilities in that plane for force acting on each small element. I tried to google it but either google nor wiki mention anything about the specific direction.

In my opinion th net force due to surface tension will be zero.
But what I said is just a guess.!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would think that they are asking for the force required to pull the plate straight up.

turin said:
I would think that they are asking for the force required to pull the plate straight up.

The question goes as this.

Calculate the force required to take away a flat circular plate of radius 4 cm from the surface of water, surface tension of water being 75 dyne/cm!

And the solution provided to this example is:
Length of surface=2*pi*r
Force required=T*l
=0.018N

Now if the disc is being pulled up, why isn't the gravitational force playing any role??

ritwik06 said:
Length of surface=2*pi*r
Force required=T*l
=0.018N

Now if the disc is being pulled up, why isn't the gravitational force playing any role??

Well I am not 100% Sure on this, probably not even 80%, but to me i would see it as gravity is playing a role in this problem. When you factor in the surface tension, arent you kind of already factoring in gravity? Because when you pull up, you will get an opposite force in the other direction which is caused by the surface tension (which part of the surface tension is caused by gravity??) So isn't gravity one component of surface tension that is already factored into the surface tension?

ritwik06 said:
The question goes as this.

Length of surface=2*pi*r
Force required=T*l
=0.018N

NBAJam100 said:
Well I am not 100% Sure on this, probably not even 80%, but to me i would see it as gravity is playing a role in this problem. When you factor in the surface tension, arent you kind of already factoring in gravity? Because when you pull up, you will get an opposite force in the other direction which is caused by the surface tension (which part of the surface tension is caused by gravity??) So isn't gravity one component of surface tension that is already factored into the surface tension?

Please help me knowing 2 things:
1. The direction of the force because of surface tension.
2. Why has the weight been neglected?

ritwik06 said:
Please help me knowing 2 things:
1. The direction of the force because of surface tension.
2. Why has the weight been neglected?

(1.) Well, if you are lifting the plate upwards you will get an opposite pull in the downward direction (the same direction as g) which is the force of surface tension. So you have your force of the upward pull balanced by the surface tension force downward.

(2.) As i said before, I am not 100% but from my point of view i would see it as weight is already factored into surface tension. Surface tension is the molecules being pulled back down to the other molecules which it is connected to. Keep in mind those molecules are also being acted on by gravity simultaneously.

NBAJam100 said:
(1.) Well, if you are lifting the plate upwards you will get an opposite pull in the downward direction (the same direction as g) which is the force of surface tension. So you have your force of the upward pull balanced by the surface tension force downward.

Well, what's the reason for the downward direction of the force?

(2.) As i said before, I am not 100% but from my point of view i would see it as weight is already factored into surface tension. Surface tension is the molecules being pulled back down to the other molecules which it is connected to. Keep in mind those molecules are also being acted on by gravity simultaneously.

Since NBAJam is not 100% sure about this, I would request some other member from PF to please guide me.

Related to Surface Tension: Exploring the Direction of Drag on a Circular Plate

What is surface tension?

Surface tension is a property of liquids that causes the surface of a liquid to behave like a thin, elastic membrane. It is caused by the cohesive forces between molecules in the liquid, which create a strong surface tension at the air-liquid interface.

How does surface tension affect the direction of drag on a circular plate?

Surface tension plays a major role in the direction of drag on a circular plate. As the plate moves through a liquid, the surface tension causes the liquid to resist the plate's motion, resulting in a drag force that acts in the direction opposite to the plate's movement.

What factors can affect surface tension?

Surface tension can be affected by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and the presence of impurities. Higher temperatures and lower pressures can decrease surface tension, while the presence of impurities can either increase or decrease surface tension depending on the nature of the impurity.

How is surface tension measured?

Surface tension is typically measured using a tensiometer, which measures the force required to pull a thin wire or ring through the surface of a liquid. The surface tension is then calculated using this force and the dimensions of the wire or ring.

What are some real-world applications of surface tension?

Surface tension has many practical applications, including in cleaning products such as detergents, inks and paints, and even in the formation of bubbles and droplets. It also plays a crucial role in the functioning of biological systems, such as the movement of fluids in plants and the formation of tears in the eye.