Surface Reconstruction: RHEED/LEED

• Thread starter citw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Surface
In summary, the conversation is about understanding surface reconstruction diffraction patterns, specifically in Figure 2 of an attached document. The speaker is seeking help from someone more familiar with reconstruction and diffraction to understand two questions: why three additional lines in Figure 2 (a) indicate a 4x1 reconstruction pattern and how the LEED image in Figure 2 (b) indicates a two-domain (1x4)/(4x1) reconstruction. They also mention their newness to the subject and apologize for not attaching the files at first.
citw
I'm having some trouble understanding surface reconstruction diffraction patterns. Please see Figure 2 on the third page of the attached document. An in-depth knowledge of the subject matter isn't needed, I just need someone more familiar with reconstruction and diffraction than myself. I need help understanding two things:

1) In figure 2 (a) has the caption: "in addition to the 1x1 diffraction features, a weak 4x1 diffraction pattern consisting of three additional lines (marked by three arrows) within the 1x1 pattern is also visible." Why do three additional fractional visible lines indicate a 4x1 reconstruction pattern?

2) In figure 2 (b), please explain how the LEED image indicates a two-domain (1x4)/(4x1) reconstruction. Is there a way to "outline" the domains? I'd like to be able to identify them from the picture.

I'd really appreciate any insight anyone can give. I'm very new to this stuff.

Physics news on Phys.org
Files didn't get attached at first.

Attachments

• page 3.jpg
    page 3.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 428
  • page2.jpg
    page2.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 468

Related to Surface Reconstruction: RHEED/LEED

1. What is surface reconstruction in RHEED/LEED?

Surface reconstruction in RHEED/LEED refers to the process of analyzing the diffraction patterns produced by a beam of electrons or ions as it interacts with the surface of a material. This technique is commonly used to study the atomic structure and surface morphology of thin films and crystal surfaces.

2. How does RHEED/LEED work?

RHEED/LEED works by directing a beam of electrons or ions onto the surface of a material at a low angle of incidence. The beam is then scattered by the atoms in the surface, producing a diffraction pattern that can be observed and analyzed. The resulting pattern contains information about the atomic arrangement and symmetry of the surface.

3. What is the difference between RHEED and LEED?

The main difference between RHEED and LEED is the type of beam used. RHEED (Reflection High-Energy Electron Diffraction) uses a beam of electrons, while LEED (Low-Energy Electron Diffraction) uses a beam of ions. RHEED is typically used for studying thicker films and surfaces, while LEED is better suited for analyzing the surface structure of very thin films.

4. What are the benefits of using RHEED/LEED for surface reconstruction?

RHEED/LEED offers several benefits for surface reconstruction, including high resolution, non-destructive analysis, and the ability to study surfaces in real time. It also allows for the determination of surface symmetry and the detection of surface defects or changes in atomic structure.

5. What are some applications of RHEED/LEED in scientific research?

RHEED/LEED is commonly used in materials science research to study the atomic structure and morphology of thin films and crystal surfaces. It is also used in the development and characterization of new materials for various technological applications, such as in the semiconductor industry. Additionally, RHEED/LEED can be used to study surface reactions and processes, such as thin film growth and surface chemistry.