Surface oxidation of aluminum alloy and electrical continuity

rmain
TL;DR Summary
I need to understand why I see continuity on an aluminum (6061-T6) plate when checked with a multimeter, when I expected oxidation should prevent continuity, and define 'best practice to ensure continued continuity in an assembly including aluminum parts.
I'm using aluminum alloy (6061-T6 sheet at the moment) to construct a chassis for mechanical support of an assembly. This chassis also serves as part of an EMI mitigation system (RF, GHz range), so I need to ensure electrical continuity between the chassis and other components of the system. I was concerned surface oxidation would be a problem, but I've run some tests with a multimeter, and find that samples of material I've tested show close to zero resistance. I have been careful to lay the probes sideways on the material surface to ensure the sharp tips don't pierce the surface oxide. It's not clear to my why I'm seeing continuity under these conditions.

Some possible explanations:
- The material I'm using is NOT pure aluminum. Other metals in the alloy (6061 in this case) are exposed on the surface, and provide a path for continuity bypassing the Al Oxide layer.
- The oxide layer is somewhat 'porous'. Contaminants in these pores may provide the observed continuity. I did attempt to clean the surface with alcohol without observable change.
- The multimeter (Fluke 29) in resistance mode may apply a voltage sufficient to overcome the (very thin) oxide layer. I find this explanation unlikely, though I saw somewhere only several volts are required to 'overcome' the high oxide resistance. The mechanism of 'overcoming' the oxide layer was not explained. On the other hand, if this _is_ a factor, and a voltage drop will appear across the oxide barrier, that might have an impact on EMI mitigation, so I'll want to be aware of it.

When Aluminum wiring was first used in industry, there were significant problems especially where aluminum wires were terminated to copper wires & fittings, which was attributed to localized heating caused by resistance of an aluminum oxide layer. This was initially overcome by use of antioxidant paste, and mechanical connectors that broke through the oxide layer. My understanding is that the antioxidant pastes contained zinc particles that 'cut through' the oxide to provide continuity, and the greasy component of the paste prevented exposure to air (and subsequent re-oxidation). It appears antioxidant pastes are not as required with recent Al alloy wiring. Clearly the composition of aluminum alloy is important to mitigating surface oxides with respect to continuity & conduction.

In one location of my assembly, I plan on using a grease formulated with a built-in deoxidizer to help ensure continuity, while lubricating for ease of assembly. In another location, I plan on using conductive double-sided tape to help provide a mechanical bond, while ensuring continuity.

The same company that produces the grease above sells just their 'deoxidizer' in liquid form for cleaning & pre-treating the oxide layer. They claimed it would remove heavy oxide buildup. Since I haven't detected a continuity problem on samples of the material I plan to use, I have been unable to verify their claim.

I'd appreciate any feedback you can provide regarding the specific situation I've described above. I'm not interested in oxidation on exposed surfaces, etc., but in surface oxide as it pertains to close-contact electrical continuity.

Engineering news on Phys.org
rmain said:
This chassis also serves as part of an EMI mitigation system (RF, GHz range), so I need to ensure electrical continuity between the chassis and other components of the system.
You will get other good advice, but here are a couple thoughts:

** To have a good shield at GHz frequencies, you will need to have a pretty continuous weld along any seams. If you could post some drawings of the part(s), that would be a help.

** When grounding metal parts, you need two things: a) Multiple contact points and b) air-tight contact points. This generally means things like high contact forces and multiple "bite" gasketing or washers.

Likes DaveE, Rive and Tom.G
I think you could borrow some ideas from high current Al busbar connection systems. There are many manufacturers, usually with fairly detailed recommendations for the assembly process.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
You will get other good advice, but here are a couple thoughts:

** To have a good shield at GHz frequencies, you will need to have a pretty continuous weld along any seams. If you could post some drawings of the part(s), that would be a help.

** When grounding metal parts, you need two things: a) Multiple contact points and b) air-tight contact points. This generally means things like high contact forces and multiple "bite" gasketing or washers.
Thanks for the input.
Unfortunately, I'm unable to post pictures.
A simplified description is a plastic box (sprayed with conductive paint), with a metal (6061) plate lid that drops into a groove at the top. The conductive paint at the groove will provide continuous contact with approximately 2mm of the bottom surface of the plate around the entire periphery. The plate will pressed against the paint with foam. Contact force will not be high, but the parts will be pressed together. It will be possible to add some form of 'conduction enhancement' at the edges of the plate if it is required.

There will be other breaches (holes) to this 'box', and I'm working to address each as required.

The wavelength of 1.6GHz in air is approximately 19cm. I'm expecting I should only worry about holes larger than 1/10th this wavelength, or 1.9cm.

Where wiring breaches the 'box', ferrites will be used to ensure conducted emissions are blocked.

Rive said:
I think you could borrow some ideas from high current Al busbar connection systems. There are many manufacturers, usually with fairly detailed recommendations for the assembly process.
Thanks for your input.
I am actually having one of the other aluminum parts nickel plated (using electroless nickel plating), not only for conductivity, but also for mechanical benefits. Surface treatments like plating or Alodine (chemical conversion) are also used to address oxidation in electrical distribution system such as busbars.

There are also some creative ideas (compression washers, slotted hole designs, etc.) with respect to physical alterations at connection points (like bolted connectors on busbars), that I don't think will translate to my design challenges, but it's great to have them in mind as I work through the design.

Likes Rive
rmain said:
Where wiring breaches the 'box', ferrites will be used to ensure conducted emissions are blocked.
You will need a ferrite beads that operate above 1.6 GHz.
The ferrite beads and low-pass filter capacitors are usually built into a separate closed chamber in, or on, the side of the box.

Likes berkeman
rmain said:
I am actually having one of the other aluminum parts nickel plated (using electroless nickel plating), not only for conductivity, but also for mechanical benefits. Surface treatments like plating or Alodine (chemical conversion) are also used to address oxidation in electrical distribution system such as busbars.
This is best practice for Al chassis. Anything else is prone to reliability problems. There are also manufacturability/QA issues with things like paste or star washers. Humans tend not to always do what they are supposed to.

Applications like house wiring with unplated Al rely on mechanical fastening systems that will pierce through the oxide layer and stay in place keeping oxygen out. This would be really hard to ensure along a long contact seam. Mechanical compliance is usually needed to prevent displacement due to TCE differences in the materials used. These are systems that usually aren't intended for service, disassembly, and reuse.

Likes berkeman
The oxidization of aluminium is -unlike many other many other metals- self terminating. Unless you do something "extra" to the surface the oxide will always be quite thin. The oxide is actually very good (which is why it is used an an insulator), but the fact that it is so thin (~tens of nanometres) still means that is very easy to pierce mechanically. Hence, my guess is that the oxide is there; but that you are simply penetrating the oxide it when you test it with you mustimeter.

Likes DaveE and berkeman
If conductivity must be maintained, you need a surface treatment. A chromate plating (Alodining, e.g.) is standard but there are others available. The best choice depends on the environmental requirements and scratch resistance needed. Your multimeter test is irrelevant over the long term.

Likes DaveE and berkeman
I'll just add that the hardest engineering question is this:

"If I did something wrong, not "best practice" (or the normal way), or I want to cut corners; how bad will it be, what will happen?"

Most focused research is aimed toward better; higher performance, more reliable, etc.

Also, make sure you properly account for reliability costs throughout the product lifecycle. It's complex and specific to your product/market. But for durable goods, it's nearly always better to avoid problems than to fix them later. Are you like Toyota, or Yugo? Copy other's designs that are proven, spend your time and money on the unique stuff for your situation.

DaveE said:
Mechanical compliance is usually needed to prevent displacement due to TCE differences in the materials used.
Mechanical compliance is present - the aluminum plate is compressed against the conductive paint with foam.

The plastic will have a CTE that is close to that of Aluminum so displacement will be minimal. If 'conduction enhancement' products prove insufficient to maintain continuity, we'll move on to surface treatment. Alodine is cheaper & would likely be sufficient, but electroless nickel is also an option since we will already be using it for other parts in this design.

f95toli said:
The oxidization of aluminium is -unlike many other many other metals- self terminating. Unless you do something "extra" to the surface the oxide will always be quite thin. The oxide is actually very good (which is why it is used an an insulator), but the fact that it is so thin (~tens of nanometres) still means that is very easy to pierce mechanically. Hence, my guess is that the oxide is there; but that you are simply penetrating the oxide it when you test it with you mustimeter.
Mechanical penetration is clearly a possible explanation (given the thin layer), though I have attempted to be careful when applying the probes to only use the side & not apply significant pressure. I think if the oxide layer naturally present in atmosphere were so easily breached, terminating aluminum wiring would never have been an issue.

I did find a post citing a reference paper indicating there is a (poorly understood) mechanism which causes the insulation of thin-film (single digit to tens of nanometers) aluminum oxide to break down (conduct) under a few volts potential difference.

Referring back to the documented aluminum wiring issue, a few volts drop in a junction of wiring carrying tens of amps (for instance), could result in significant local heating.

Last edited: