What Is Peace? Achieving Personal Peace

• Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date
In summary: Peace is not a well-defined word. In some contexts, it merely means the absence of war or the absence of killing. Then there is the context such as "peace and quiet" which refers to a lack of action or stimulation (possibly only referring to certain types of stimulation). This lack could be in amplitude and/or population (For example, peace=quiet or peace=lack of distinguishable sounds). In summary, peace is a state of mind that can be achieved by accepting where you are in life, having accepted what you are, and being ok with what you have done in the past.
quddusaliquddus
What is it - to be @ peace? I don't mean the type military type - but personal peace.

I don't think there is anyone who rejects peace - but what is it / how can you attain it?

Is it an experience that cannot be described?

Physics news on Phys.org
To me, to be "at peace" means to accept where you are in life, to have accepted what you are and to be ok with what you have done in the past.

I guess I am at peace.

Evo said:
To me, to be "at peace" means to accept where you are in life, to have accepted what you are and to be ok with what you have done in the past.

I guess I am at peace.

Very nice.

"For as long as you're looking for peace... you won't find it".
(p-brane)

Peace!

Peace is not a well-defined word. In some contexts, it merely means the absence of war or the absence of killing. Then there is the context such as "peace and quiet" which refers to a lack of action or stimulation (possibly only referring to certain types of stimulation). This lack could be in amplitude and/or population (For example, peace=quiet or peace=lack of distinguishable sounds).

Peace could also mean the lack of negative experience. Peace could entail positive experience.

Peace could mean some combination of any of the above and more.

I usually think of peace as being a lack of intense, negative experience, in which case outer space, the moon, mars, or Jupitor is much more peaceful than any places humans have been.

Evo said:

I guess I am at peace.

I agree with you Evo. "No regrets about past, No worries about future"

Depends on who is giving their meaning of peace. Peace becomes much of a bigger meaning when talking about a community, state or province, government or the world.

Thanos: What's your definition of personal peace?

To fully accept the good and bad that comes with life. That includes what happened in life, what's happening now and what is about to happen.

Last edited:
quddusaliquddus said:
Thanos: What's your definition of personal peace?

I forgot to include my definition of peace here. Excuse me.

Ah, erm, eiuuuuu.

Relative peace (personal peace) is that ability to find peace in all situations and conditions into which one puts one's self.

Its a kind of bring your own bottle deal. Sort of BYOP. That's my biopsy of personal peace.

If there were an english word for it it would be "enpeace" as in "enjoy". Enjoy means to bring joy to a subject matter, because no inaminate and very few animate objects actually have joy inherent therein. Whitherto, furthermore, moreover, bleedin' eh. What?

Like your definition...but am a little worried about certain aspects of it, like "Ah, erm, eiuuuuu." and "Whitherto, furthermore, moreover, bleedin' eh. What?" ... :D

peace? for me if nothing gives me pressure, no conflict with others.

quddusaliquddus said:
Like your definition...but am a little worried about certain aspects of it, like "Ah, erm, eiuuuuu." and "Whitherto, furthermore, moreover, bleedin' eh. What?" ... :D

No worries.

Peace!

1. What is the definition of peace?

The definition of peace is a state of tranquility, calmness, and freedom from disturbance or war. It is a state of mind and being that is characterized by harmony, security, and a lack of conflict.

2. How can one achieve personal peace?

To achieve personal peace, one must first identify what brings them inner turmoil and stress. This could be unresolved conflicts, negative thoughts and emotions, or a lack of self-care. Once identified, steps can be taken to address and resolve these issues, such as practicing mindfulness, seeking therapy, and setting boundaries.

3. Is peace achievable for everyone?

Yes, peace is achievable for everyone, but the path to achieving it may differ. Some may find peace through spiritual practices, while others may find it through mindfulness and self-reflection. It's important to find what works for you and to actively work towards finding peace in your life.

4. Can achieving personal peace lead to world peace?

While achieving personal peace can have a positive impact on the world, it is not a guarantee for world peace. However, if more individuals strive for personal peace, it can create a ripple effect and contribute to a more peaceful society.

5. How can peace be maintained once it is achieved?

Maintaining peace requires continuous effort and self-awareness. It involves recognizing triggers and effectively managing stress and conflict. It also involves practicing empathy, compassion, and forgiveness towards oneself and others. Regular self-care and self-reflection can also help in maintaining personal peace.