Surface of 2 rotating fluids in a cylindrical container

In summary, the problem involves finding the functions of the surfaces of two fluids in a cylindrical container, given their volumes, densities, and angular frequencies. The goal is to minimize the overall energy by solving equations for the unknown coefficients. However, this approach may not work due to the presence of the centripetal force and the observation that the fluids will move towards the walls of the container at faster rotations. Further exploration and help is needed to find a solution.
magicfountain

Homework Statement

In a cylindrical container (with radius R) there are 2 fluids (separated like water and oil, fluid 1 lies under fluid 2) with given volumes V_i, given densities ρ_i.
You let them rotate with respective angular frequencies ω_i.
There is no friction.
Find the functions of form [itex]y_i=a_i x^2+b_i[/itex] (cylindrical coordinates) that describe the surface (y_i) of each of the 2 fluids.
[Ignore cases of the surfaces touching each other or the bottom of the container]2. The attempt at a solution
I was thinking about finding the functions y_i that would minimize the overall energy for the given values.
I wrote down the following:
[itex]E=E_{pot1}+E_{pot2}+E_{rot1}+E_{rot2}[/itex]
This is a function of ρ, ω, V, a_1, b_1, a_2, b_2
But because Volume is conserved, b_i depends on a_i so we can leave out b_i as an argument of the function.
Now we want to minimize the energy by solving the following two equations for the 2 unknown a.
[itex]\frac{∂E}{a_1}=0[/itex]
[itex]\frac{∂E}{a_2}=0[/itex]
By solving this we obtain a_i --> b_i --> y_i(r)

Is "minimizing the energy" a legitimate way of finding a solution for this problem?
I'm being careful, because I tried this on the same problem but exclusively for 1 fluid and it didn't work, because ∂E/∂a was independent of a.

Physics news on Phys.org
just in case you need some visualization
attachment.php?attachmentid=52155&stc=1&d=1350819366.png

I've as far as to see, that my current approach also contradicts the observation that the fluids will go to the walls of the container for faster rotations.
This leads me to thinking that i will definitely have to work in the centripetal force.
Maybe one would have to add E=∫dE=∫F_cent*dr to the energy (following from F=dE/dr). This is just a wild guess.
Help is very much appreciated!

Attachments

• fluid.png
    fluid.png
    690 bytes · Views: 484

Related to Surface of 2 rotating fluids in a cylindrical container

1. What is the purpose of studying the surface of 2 rotating fluids in a cylindrical container?

The purpose of studying the surface of 2 rotating fluids in a cylindrical container is to understand the behavior and dynamics of these fluids. This can have practical applications in industries such as oil and gas, chemical engineering, and meteorology.

2. How does the rotation of the cylindrical container affect the surface of the fluids?

The rotation of the cylindrical container creates a centrifugal force that causes the fluids to move in a circular motion. This motion can lead to the formation of vortices and other complex patterns on the surface of the fluids.

3. What factors can influence the surface tension of the 2 rotating fluids?

The surface tension of the 2 rotating fluids can be influenced by factors such as the viscosity of the fluids, the speed of rotation, and the size and shape of the container. Other external factors like temperature and atmospheric pressure can also play a role.

4. How does the interface between the two fluids behave under rotation?

The interface between the two fluids can exhibit various behaviors under rotation, depending on the properties of the fluids and the speed of rotation. It can form a stable interface, break up into smaller droplets, or form complex patterns such as the Taylor-Couette flow.

5. What can we learn from studying the surface of 2 rotating fluids in a cylindrical container?

Studying the surface of 2 rotating fluids in a cylindrical container can provide insights into fluid dynamics, turbulence, and other phenomena that are important in various industries and natural processes. It can also help us understand the behavior of other systems with rotating interfaces, such as planets and stars.