Uncovering Hidden MSG in Our Food and Products

• Thread starter Viper
  • Start date
In summary: I don't have that problem, but my father does, and he's not even a little bit Asian. :tongue: Marmite is gross. Vegemite is gross. Promite is gross. The only decent yeast spread is Aussiemite.In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of various yeast extract spreads, including Marmite, Vegemite, Promite, and Aussiemite. Some individuals express their dislike for these spreads, while others share their love for them and suggest different ways to eat them. The topic of MSG is also brought up, with some individuals experiencing adverse reactions to it. One individual shares a personal experience with anaphylactic shock due to MSG consumption. Ultimately

Do you like marmite?

• Yes

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • No

Votes: 10 47.6%

• Total voters
Viper
Its black but do you like it?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it's sick. Worse than sprouts.

Sprouts are nice. Jack your a fool!

WTF is marmite?

It's disgusting.

http://www.gty.org/~phil/marmite.htm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a black sweet as tasty yummy good stuff!

i like vegimite!

we are not worthy!

Marmite on toast cannot be beaten. It's simply the best. However, Bovril as a hot drink is vile.

I like Marmite. Has a unique taste. I can't quite describe it.

I used to use it to add flavour to my meals by hunking one spoon into my rice and mixing it, cause my mom wouldn't let me flavour my rice with Soya Sauce(Light Sauce).

Try making cheese on toast with marmite underneith mmmm

Originally posted by Viper
Try making cheese on toast with marmite underneith mmmm

A mousetrap. :smile:

I like marmite and lettuce sandwiches but I prefer vegemite in sandwiches and on toast.

Marmite and lettuce can`t say I tried. Ian likes it on ice cream

i LOVE marmite! i have been known to just stick my finger's in and eat it as is.

I don't do that anymore though.

what is marmite/vegimite?

Marmite is a yeast extract product

Vegemite is also a yeast extract.

Vegemite

I resurrected this thread rather than start a new one. :biggrin:

I grew up on Vegemite and occasionally Marmite, and like them both.

Anyway - I thought this was great :rofl:

How much is inside Vegemite?

If you've never tasted Vegemite, the closest experience would be to put a beef bouillon cube in your mouth.

I've never tried vegemite. I liked marmite as a kid-- in fact my mum tells me its the only thing I would eat for a while! Absolutely hate the stuff now. My housemates eat it and leave knives lying around with marmite on and it makes me feel ill!

When I read the linked description, my first response was that I'm glad it's not available in Canada. After Astro's explanation of the taste, however, it's quite possible that I'd like it.

Danger said:
When I read the linked description, my first response was that I'm glad it's not available in Canada.
I'm sure Vegemite and Marmite are available in Canada! I know there are Aussies there.

Danger said:
When I read the linked description, my first response was that I'm glad it's not available in Canada. After Astro's explanation of the taste, however, it's quite possible that I'd like it.

Check the specialty shops, trust me, it's here :yuck:

Brilliant.

Llllooovvvvvvvve it :smile:

Whats a marmite? :confused:

Whats a marmite?
Marmite is disgusting is what it is. I think it's made of marsupial varmintes

Warning! If you experienced any adverse reactions to eating Chinese food (MSG syndrome) do not try either of these products - at least not very much of them at a time. Both yeast extract and vegetable extract are concentrated forms of glutamates

What is 'MSG syndrome'?

I had it once, and would never eat it again. Unless of course it was the end of the world and there was nothing let to eat. I would chose Marmite over bugs.

Smurf said:
Check the specialty shops, trust me, it's here :yuck:

Hmmm... I've sure never seen it. If it's really cheap, I might see if I can find a jar to try out.

cyrusabdollahi said:
What is 'MSG syndrome'?
Some people experience numbness or tingling in the extremities, headaches, abdominal cramps or worse. I promptly go into anaphylactic shock and I nearly died in the emergency room of a local hospital because the ER doc didn't believe that MSG could be such a serious problem, and she withheld epinephrine though I begged for it (as much as I could in my condition). By the time my BP got down to about 25 over 15, the ER nurses were hollering at her and she administered epinephrine. That's when I went into convulsions and the doctor and two nurses had to enlist the aid of another person to hold me down. When I woke up hours later, I felt like someone had beaten every inch of my body with a baseball bat. When someone is "passed out" and unresponsive, do not holler "we're losing him" unless you intend for the patient to know their state. I remember most of that afternoon, including the arguments and the panic in the ER.

Are you sure you don't have an allergic reaction to MSG? Most of asia uses MSG in almost all of their food and as far as I am aware, there all fine.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Are you sure you don't have an allergic reaction to MSG? Most of asia uses MSG in almost all of their food and as far as I am aware, there all fine.
It's not a typical allergy - more like a severe toxic reaction. And I have Native American blood from both sides of my family and probably have more genetic material in common with Asians than most of the US population.

But what I am saying is that its not a toxic substance. Millions use it everyday with no complications. For some reason, your body can't process it; but, I don't think its dangerous.

cyrusabdollahi said:
But what I am saying is that its not a toxic substance. Millions use it everyday with no complications. For some reason, your body can't process it; but, I don't think its dangerous.
Millions can eat shellfish, peanuts, etc, or be stung by a bee without adverse reactions, too. Others experience anaphylactic shock and die if they are not treated. Remember, I warned that if people had previously experienced adverse reactions to Chinese food, do not experiment with these spreads because they contain high levels of glutamates. Nowhere did I say these spreads are poisonous, dangerous, etc, but to a subset of people they will cause reactions, and to a smaller subset, they can cause life-threatening reactions.

<h2>1. What is MSG and why is it hidden in our food and products?</h2><p>MSG (monosodium glutamate) is a flavor enhancer commonly used in processed foods and products to enhance their taste. It is hidden in these products because it is a cheap and effective way to make food taste better, and manufacturers are not required to list it as an ingredient on the label.</p><h2>2. What are the potential health risks associated with consuming hidden MSG?</h2><p>Consuming hidden MSG has been linked to various health issues such as headaches, nausea, and allergic reactions. It has also been linked to more serious conditions such as obesity, diabetes, and neurological disorders.</p><h2>3. How can I identify hidden MSG in food and products?</h2><p>Unfortunately, there is no foolproof way to identify hidden MSG in food and products. However, some common ingredients that may contain MSG include hydrolyzed vegetable protein, autolyzed yeast extract, and natural flavors. It is important to carefully read labels and choose whole, unprocessed foods whenever possible.</p><h2>4. Are there any regulations in place for labeling MSG in food and products?</h2><p>In the United States, the FDA requires that MSG be listed as an ingredient in food if it is added as a flavor enhancer. However, it does not have to be listed if it is a part of another ingredient, such as hydrolyzed vegetable protein. This can make it difficult for consumers to identify hidden MSG in their food.</p><h2>5. What are some alternatives to using hidden MSG in food and products?</h2><p>There are many natural and healthier alternatives to using hidden MSG in food and products. Some examples include using herbs and spices to enhance flavor, using high-quality ingredients, and cooking from scratch. It is also important to read labels carefully and choose products that do not contain hidden MSG.</p>

1. What is MSG and why is it hidden in our food and products?

MSG (monosodium glutamate) is a flavor enhancer commonly used in processed foods and products to enhance their taste. It is hidden in these products because it is a cheap and effective way to make food taste better, and manufacturers are not required to list it as an ingredient on the label.

2. What are the potential health risks associated with consuming hidden MSG?

Consuming hidden MSG has been linked to various health issues such as headaches, nausea, and allergic reactions. It has also been linked to more serious conditions such as obesity, diabetes, and neurological disorders.

3. How can I identify hidden MSG in food and products?

Unfortunately, there is no foolproof way to identify hidden MSG in food and products. However, some common ingredients that may contain MSG include hydrolyzed vegetable protein, autolyzed yeast extract, and natural flavors. It is important to carefully read labels and choose whole, unprocessed foods whenever possible.

4. Are there any regulations in place for labeling MSG in food and products?

In the United States, the FDA requires that MSG be listed as an ingredient in food if it is added as a flavor enhancer. However, it does not have to be listed if it is a part of another ingredient, such as hydrolyzed vegetable protein. This can make it difficult for consumers to identify hidden MSG in their food.

5. What are some alternatives to using hidden MSG in food and products?

There are many natural and healthier alternatives to using hidden MSG in food and products. Some examples include using herbs and spices to enhance flavor, using high-quality ingredients, and cooking from scratch. It is also important to read labels carefully and choose products that do not contain hidden MSG.