Surface gravity of Kerr black hole

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the surface gravity using the Kerr metric and the Killing vector. The norm of the Killing vector is found to be equal to the norm of the Killing vector at the event horizon, but there is confusion about how the equation is derived. The questioner is unsure how the terms cancel out when evaluating the expression at the horizon, and how the end result of the surface gravity is obtained.
Ganesh Ujwal
I'm going through Kerr metric, and following the 'Relativist's toolkit' derivation of the surface gravity, I've come to a part that I don't understand.

Firstly, the metric is given by

##\mathrm{d}s^2=\left(\frac{\Sigma}{\rho^2}\sin^2\theta\omega^2-\frac{\rho^2\Delta}{\Sigma}\right)\mathrm{d}t^2-2\frac{\Sigma}{\rho^2}\sin^2\theta\omega \mathrm{d}\phi \mathrm{d}t+\frac{\Sigma}{\rho^2}\sin^2\theta \mathrm{d}\phi^2+\frac{\rho^2}{\Delta}\mathrm{d}r^2+\rho^2 \mathrm{d}\theta^2##

With

##\rho^2=r^2+a^2\cos^2\theta,\quad \Delta=r^2-2Mr+a^2,##
##\Sigma=(r^2+a^2)^2-a^2\Delta\sin^2\theta,\quad \omega=\frac{2Mar}{\Sigma}##

The Killing vector that is null at the event horizon is

##\chi^\mu=\partial_t+\Omega_H\partial_\phi##

where ##\Omega_H## is angular velocity at the horizon.

Now I got the same norm of the Killing vector

##\chi^\mu\chi_\mu=g_{\mu\nu}\chi^\mu\chi^\nu=\frac{\Sigma}{\rho^2}\sin^2\theta(\Omega_H-\omega)^2-\frac{\rho^2\Delta}{\Sigma}##

And now I should use this equation

##\nabla_\nu(-\chi^\mu\chi_\mu)=2\kappa\chi_\nu##

And I need to look at the horizon. Now, on the horizon ##\omega=\Omega_H## so my first term in the norm is zero, but, on the horizon ##\Delta=0## too, so how are they deriving that side, and how did they get

##\nabla_\nu(-\chi^\mu\chi_\mu)=\frac{\rho^2}{\Sigma}\nabla_\nu\Delta##

if the ##\Delta=0## on the horizon? Since ##\rho## and ##\Sigma## both depend on ##r##, and even if I evaluate them at ##r_+=M+\sqrt{M^2-a^2}## they don't cancel each other.

How do they get to the end result of ##\kappa##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ganesh Ujwal said:
how did they get

##\nabla_\nu(-\chi^\mu\chi_\mu)=\frac{\rho^2}{\Sigma}\nabla_\nu\Delta##

if the ##\Delta=0## on the horizon?

You have to take the derivative of your expression for ##\chi^{\mu} \chi_{\mu}## before you plug in values for quantities at the horizon.

Related to Surface gravity of Kerr black hole

1. What is the surface gravity of a Kerr black hole?

The surface gravity of a Kerr black hole is a measure of the strength of the gravitational field at the event horizon, or the point of no return. It is also known as the gravitational acceleration experienced by an object at the event horizon.

2. How is the surface gravity of a Kerr black hole calculated?

The surface gravity of a Kerr black hole can be calculated using the formula κ = c^4 / 4G^2M^2, where c is the speed of light, G is the gravitational constant, and M is the mass of the black hole. This formula takes into account the effects of the black hole's spin, which is a unique characteristic of Kerr black holes.

3. Is the surface gravity of a Kerr black hole constant?

No, the surface gravity of a Kerr black hole is not constant. It varies depending on the mass and spin of the black hole. As the mass or spin of the black hole changes, so does its surface gravity.

4. How does the surface gravity of a Kerr black hole compare to that of a Schwarzschild black hole?

The surface gravity of a Kerr black hole is greater than that of a Schwarzschild black hole with the same mass. This is due to the additional contribution of the black hole's spin to the gravitational field. In other words, a Kerr black hole has a stronger gravitational pull at its event horizon than a Schwarzschild black hole.

5. Can the surface gravity of a Kerr black hole be measured?

While the surface gravity of a Kerr black hole cannot be directly measured, it can be inferred from observations of the black hole's effects on its surrounding environment. For example, the X-ray emissions from matter falling into a black hole can provide information about its surface gravity. Additionally, simulations and theoretical calculations can also estimate the surface gravity of Kerr black holes.