Surface density diamond structure [1 1 1]

In summary, the surface density of the silicon diamond structure in the [1 0 0] and [1 1 0] planes is 2/a^2 and 4/sqrt(2)*a^2 respectively. For the [1 1 1] plane, the surface density is 2/(sqrt(3)/2*a^2), but the hint provided in the description can be ignored if one is familiar with the structure of the diamond lattice.
Ulumab

Homework Statement

Calculate the surface density (planar density) of the Silicon diamond structure in the [1 0 0],[1 1 0],[1 1 1] planes.
Given a = 5.431 A (latice constant)

Hint: For the (111) plane, it should help you to think of the diamond lattice as two interpenetrating FCC lattices.2. The attempt at a solution
I managed to solve [1 0 0] and [1 1 0](2/a^2 and 4/sqrt(2)*a^2) I have also got a result for [1 1 1](2/(sqrt(3)/2*a^2)) but I completely ignored the hint in the description.

Ulumab said:
2. The attempt at a solution
I managed to solve [1 0 0] and [1 1 0](2/a^2 and 4/sqrt(2)*a^2) I have also got a result for [1 1 1](2/(sqrt(3)/2*a^2)) but I completely ignored the hint in the description.
The hint helps to imagine the diamond structure. You do not need it if you know how it looks like.

Related to Surface density diamond structure [1 1 1]

1. What is the surface density of a diamond with a [1 1 1] structure?

The surface density of a diamond with a [1 1 1] structure is approximately 4.07 x 10^14 atoms/cm^2.

2. How does the surface density of a diamond with a [1 1 1] structure compare to other diamond structures?

The [1 1 1] diamond structure has the highest surface density among all diamond structures.

3. What is the significance of the [1 1 1] diamond structure?

The [1 1 1] diamond structure is considered the most stable and strongest crystal structure, making it ideal for industrial and technological applications.

4. How is the surface density of a diamond with a [1 1 1] structure calculated?

The surface density of a diamond with a [1 1 1] structure is calculated by dividing the number of atoms in one layer of the structure by the area of that layer.

5. Can the surface density of a diamond with a [1 1 1] structure vary?

Yes, the surface density of a diamond with a [1 1 1] structure can vary depending on factors such as impurities, defects, and temperature.