Surface Charge of Uniformly charged sphere

In summary, the author is discussing how surface charge is related to the electric field. They explain that, ideally, surface charge is a finite amount of charge contained in an infinitely thin layer, the surface. They go on to say that, for a metal, all charge accumulates in that surface shell.
teroenza

Homework Statement

In the section on the discontinuity of the electric field (Griffiths introduction to electrodynamics) there is the following.

"Where there is no surface charge, the perpendicular component of the electric field (to the surface) is continuous, as for instance at the surface of a uniformly charged solid sphere.

This is as opposed to being discontinuous, by σ/ε_0 when a surface charge exists

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If it was a conducting sphere, I would understand that if it was neutral, there would be no net charge on the surface, but I do not see why it has to be the case here.

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't say the sphere is conducting. A "uniformly charged sphere" means the charge density in each part of the sphere is the same. A conducting sphere can't be that. All of the charge would move to the surface.

Ok. But because it is uniformly charged, there is presumably a nonzero charge density on the surface (as elsewhere) and thus charge on the surface.

I just don't understand why the surface of a uniformly charged solid sphere has no charge on it. That is contradictory. I'm not sure if I am not understanding the physics or the words.

Why is "...surface of a uniformly charged solid sphere." and example of a place ""Where there is no surface charge'''?

teroenza said:
Ok. But because it is uniformly charged, there is presumably a nonzero charge density on the surface (as elsewhere) and thus charge on the surface.

I just don't understand why the surface of a uniformly charged solid sphere has no charge on it. That is contradictory. I'm not sure if I am not understanding the physics or the words.

Why is "...surface of a uniformly charged solid sphere." and example of a place ""Where there is no surface charge'''?

You misunderstand what 'surface charge' is. Surface charge is (ideally) a finite amount of charge contained in an infinitely thin layer, the surface. It's a useful idealization to make for a conducting sphere which has no charge in the interior and all of its charge very close to the surface. Very different from a 'uniformly charged sphere'.

Last edited:
teroenza said:

Imagine the surface as a shell of one atom (molecule) thick. The radius of an atom is about 10-10 m. How much is the charge of the shell compared to the charge of a sphere of radius R=0.1 m?

In case of a metal, all charge accumulates in that surface shell.

ehild

Related to Surface Charge of Uniformly charged sphere

What is the surface charge of a uniformly charged sphere?

The surface charge of a uniformly charged sphere is the electric charge per unit area on the surface of the sphere. It is typically represented by the symbol σ (sigma) and is measured in coulombs per square meter (C/m2).

How is the surface charge of a uniformly charged sphere calculated?

The surface charge of a uniformly charged sphere is calculated by dividing the total charge of the sphere by its surface area. The formula is σ = Q / A, where σ is the surface charge, Q is the total charge, and A is the surface area.

Does the surface charge of a uniformly charged sphere depend on the size of the sphere?

No, the surface charge of a uniformly charged sphere does not depend on the size of the sphere. As long as the charge and the surface area remain constant, the surface charge will also remain constant.

What is the significance of the surface charge of a uniformly charged sphere?

The surface charge of a uniformly charged sphere is important in understanding the behavior of electric fields and forces on the surface of the sphere. It also plays a role in electrostatic phenomena and can affect the interactions between the sphere and other charged objects.

Can the surface charge of a uniformly charged sphere be negative?

Yes, the surface charge of a uniformly charged sphere can be negative. This means that the sphere has an excess of negative charge on its surface, resulting in a negative surface charge density. It is important to note that the surface charge can be either positive or negative, depending on the distribution of charge on the surface of the sphere.