Surface calculation (no integration)

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of calculating the areas of two regular surfaces using algebraic formulas without integration. It is mentioned that for the first surface, there is no general formula, but if r is constant, the area can be easily calculated as a portion of a circular cylinder. For the second surface, the area is approximately a rectangle and can be calculated as ##\rho^2 Δθ Δ\phi##. However, as the angle increments approach 0, the summation becomes an integration. It is also mentioned that the radius is constant for both surfaces. A correction is made that the angle θ in the second figure may represent the spherical element of surface area for constant ρ, which would be ##\rho
Jhenrique
Given r, Δθ and Δz and ρ, Δφ and Δθ, I think that is possible calculate algebraically those regular surfaces without use integration. Is possbile? If yes, how?

image.png
image.png

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It depends on what you mean by 'calculate'.

SteamKing said:
It depends on what you mean by 'calculate'.

English isn't my natural idiom, sorry. But, by 'calculate', I understand "add", "multiply", "integrate", "compute", "make the calculations"...

Jhenrique, you omitted an important word. What you're asking is, I believe, is it possible to calculate the areas of those surfaces, or are there formulas for their areas?

For the first surface, to the best of my knowledge, there is no general formula. I am assuming that r is not constant. If r is constant, though, what you have is some portion of the surface of a circular cylinder, and that area can be calculated easily.

For the second, the surface is approximately a rectangle, so the area would be approximately ##\rho^2 Δθ Δ\phi##, I believe. One of the dimensions is ##\rho Δθ## and the other is ##\rho Δ\phi##. The smaller the two angle increments are, the better the approximation is.

Yeah, in actually, I wish an algebraic formula for calculate the areas of those surfaces, if those formulas are generated by integration or not, don't import, since the result be algebraic.

And the radius in those 2 surfaces are constant!

The area of the shaded region in the first drawing is ##r Δθ Δz##, which is the arc length measured around the portion of the cylinder, multiplied by the height. To get the total area, sum all the area increments.

As I said before, the area of the shaded region in the second drawing is ##r^2ΔθΔ\phi##. To get the total area, sum the area increments.

This isn't really calculus - it's only calculus after you take the limits as all the Δ quantities approach 0, and the summation becomes an integration.

It isn't clear from the figures, but it looks to me like the ##\theta## in the second figure may represent the cylindrical (polar) ##\theta##. In that case he is describing the spherical element of surface area for constant ##\rho## which would be ##\rho^2\sin\phi \Delta \theta\Delta \phi##.

LCKurtz said:
It isn't clear from the figures, but it looks to me like the ##\theta## in the second figure may represent the cylindrical (polar) ##\theta##. In that case he is describing the spherical element of surface area for constant ##\rho## which would be ##\rho^2\sin\phi \Delta \theta\Delta \phi##.
I stand corrected.

Related to Surface calculation (no integration)

1. What is surface calculation?

Surface calculation is the process of determining the total area of a 3-dimensional object's surface. It involves finding the sum of all the individual surface areas of the object's sides or faces.

2. How is surface calculation different from volume calculation?

Surface calculation involves finding the area of an object's surface, while volume calculation involves finding the amount of space an object occupies. Surface calculation requires finding the sum of individual surface areas, while volume calculation involves finding the product of length, width, and height.

3. What is the formula for surface calculation?

The formula for surface calculation varies depending on the shape of the object. For example, the formula for a cube is 6 x (side length)^2, while the formula for a cylinder is 2πr^2 + 2πrh, where r is the radius and h is the height.

4. Why is surface calculation important in science?

Surface calculation is important in science because it allows us to accurately measure and compare the surface areas of different objects. It is also used in various scientific fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering to calculate surface-to-volume ratios and determine the efficiency of certain processes.

5. Can surface calculation be done without integration?

Yes, surface calculation can be done without integration. While integration can be used to find the surface area of more complex shapes, simpler shapes can be calculated using basic geometry formulas. Integration is a more advanced method and is typically used when the shape cannot be easily divided into simpler parts.