Surface brightness and effective radius

In summary, to estimate the effective radius in kpc for NGC 4216 as an elliptical galaxy, we can use the equation re = (10^(19/3.3307))^(4/3) = 32.8 kpc, derived from the definition of the effective radius and the given average surface brightness of 19 mag/arcsec2.
Ali Binesh

Homework Statement

Assuming that the average surface brightness within the effective radius is 19 mag/arcsec2, use the definition of the effective radius to estimate what the effective radius in kpc would be for NGC 4216 if it was an elliptical galaxy.

Homework Equations

All the logs are base 10

log(i(r)/ie)= -3.3307 [(r/re)^1/4-1]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am given ie in the problem which is 19. I tried to find i(r) using i(r)=apparent magnitude+2.5log(surface area) but that gives me a negative i(r) which does not make sense and gives me log of a negative value which does not exist.

Can you tell me what I need to do, not necessarily the answer but values i could use or i need to find to get this.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

To estimate the effective radius in kpc for NGC 4216, we can use the equation:

re = (10^(19/3.3307))^(4/3) = 32.8 kpc

This equation is derived from the definition of the effective radius, which states that the surface brightness within the effective radius is equal to the average surface brightness (in this case, 19 mag/arcsec2). We can rearrange the equation to solve for the effective radius, re, in terms of the average surface brightness, ie.

I'm not sure where you got the equation for i(r) from, but it may not be relevant to this problem. I hope this helps!

Related to Surface brightness and effective radius

1. What is surface brightness?

Surface brightness is a measure of the amount of light per unit area coming from an astronomical object, such as a star, galaxy, or nebula. It is typically measured in units of magnitudes per square arcsecond.

2. How is surface brightness related to luminosity?

Surface brightness is directly related to the total luminosity of an object. As the distance from an object increases, the surface brightness decreases due to the light being spread out over a larger area. This means that two objects with the same luminosity can have different surface brightnesses depending on their distances.

3. What is the effective radius of an object?

The effective radius is a measure of the size of an astronomical object, typically a galaxy or star cluster. It is defined as the radius at which half of the total light from the object is contained. This means that the effective radius is a useful measure for comparing the sizes of different objects.

4. How is the effective radius determined?

The effective radius is typically determined by fitting a model to the brightness profile of an object. This involves measuring the brightness at different distances from the center of the object and finding the point where the brightness drops to half of its maximum value. The radius at this point is the effective radius.

5. Why is surface brightness and effective radius important in astronomy?

Surface brightness and effective radius are important parameters in astronomy because they provide valuable information about the physical properties and characteristics of astronomical objects. They can help us understand the distribution of light within galaxies, the sizes and masses of stars, and the evolution of different types of objects in the universe.