Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] Surface Area of ball floating in water

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Using calculus, how would I derive a formula for the exposed surface area of a ball floating in water?

For such a formula to be a good candidate, it would have to consider oscillations of the water and placid water.

The surface area of a sphere is \(A = 4\pi r^2\).

HallsofIvy

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
Using calculus, how would I derive a formula for the exposed surface area of a ball floating in water?

For such a formula to be a good candidate, it would have to consider oscillations of the water and placid water.

The surface area of a sphere is \(A = 4\pi r^2\).
That will depend upon the density of the sphere. And if the surface of the water oscillates, the ball will oscillate with it but I don't think that will change the amount of surface area above the water.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
That will depend upon the density of the sphere. And if the surface of the water oscillates, the ball will oscillate with it but I don't think that will change the amount of surface area above the water.
Without knowing density, how could this be done?

If we think of waves, there are waves that entirely overtake objects floating in the water even if it is just for a moment. Therefore, there can be times that the ball is fully submerged. So the the amount above can be anywhere from the max (placid) to 0 rogue waves.

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
If I were to use the calculus, I would treat the problem as a surface of rotation, at least to find a formula for the surface of a spherical cap.