Surface area of a spherical cap by integration

In summary: Since ds is located exactly at a distance x from this axis, the surface of revolution for ds is a cylinder which is the cross-sectional area of the cap. The surface area of the cap is the circumference of the cylinder, 2pi x, times its height, ds, which is the arc length of ds. The integral then sums all of these cylindrical surface areas.In summary, the surface area of a spherical cap is calculated by finding the arc length of a portion of the semi-circle and using Pappus' Centroid Theorem to calculate the surface area of revolution. This involves differentiating the x=sqrt(rˆ2-yˆ2) equation and solving for ds. The role of ds is to
Moana
hi guys,
i have a question.
i saw this picture, and i don't really understand how they derived with the formula. The aim is basically to find the formula for the surface area of a spherical cap.
why do you differentiate the x=sqrt(rˆ2-yˆ2)? how does that help to find the surface?

and then next, what role does 'ds' play in here ?
and how do you know that Sy= 2pi (∫cd) x ds?im really confused and appreciate your answers

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-28 at 20.59.36.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-28 at 20.59.36.png
    73.2 KB · Views: 9,818
Physics news on Phys.org
Moana said:
hi guys,
i have a question.
i saw this picture, and i don't really understand how they derived with the formula. The aim is basically to find the formula for the surface area of a spherical cap.
why do you differentiate the x=sqrt(rˆ2-yˆ2)? how does that help to find the surface?

and then next, what role does 'ds' play in here ?
and how do you know that Sy= 2pi (∫cd) x ds?im really confused and appreciate your answers
It looks like the surface area of the cap is being calculated using the arc length of part of the semi-circle whose altitude is h in the upper hemisphere.

Since the equation of the sphere is x2 + y2 + z2 = r2, where r is the radius of the sphere, a cross section of the sphere in the x-y plane will be a circle having the equation x2 + y2 = r2. The lower edge of the cap is located at y = r - h below the top of this circle on the y-axis. The x location corresponding to this is ##x = \sqrt{r^2-y^2}##. Once you know x and y, you can calculate the length of a small segment of the circumference of this circle, ds. The rest of the calculation is an application of Pappus' Centroid Theorem:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PappussCentroidTheorem.html

Here, ds has a centroid which is located at x units from the y-axis, which also serves as the axis of revolution for this calculation.

Related to Surface area of a spherical cap by integration

1. What is the formula for calculating the surface area of a spherical cap?

The formula for calculating the surface area of a spherical cap is A = 2πrh, where A is the surface area, r is the radius of the sphere, and h is the height of the cap.

2. How is the surface area of a spherical cap related to its volume?

The surface area of a spherical cap is directly proportional to its volume. This means that as the volume increases, so does the surface area, and vice versa.

3. Can the surface area of a spherical cap be found using integration?

Yes, the surface area of a spherical cap can be found using integration. The integral of the function 2πrh can be used to calculate the surface area of the cap.

4. What is the significance of calculating the surface area of a spherical cap?

Calculating the surface area of a spherical cap is important in various fields of science, such as physics and engineering. It helps in understanding the physical properties of objects and can be used in designing structures and objects.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the surface area of a spherical cap?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of the surface area of a spherical cap. For example, it is used in calculating the surface area of a liquid in a spherical container, which is important in industries such as food and beverage, pharmaceuticals, and cosmetics. It is also used in designing and building domed structures, such as sports arenas and planetariums.