Supression factor for triangle diagrams

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of suppression factors in triangle diagrams and how they relate to different processes, specifically in the case of H\rightarrow\gamma\gamma and H\rightarrow b \bar{b}. It is mentioned that the difference between the two processes lies in the number and type of vertices and propagators involved. The conversation also touches on the role of CKM suppression factors and the impact of top and bottom quark propagators. The overall conclusion is that H\rightarrow\gamma\gamma may be more suppressed than H\rightarrow b \bar{b}, but further calculations are needed for confirmation.
frizzie
I'm pretty shaky with my understanding of much beyond simple tree-level calculations. When people talk about triangle diagrams, they sometimes say one will get a 'supression factor' of xxx. For example, in the consider the triangle diagram for H[itex]\rightarrow\gamma\gamma[/itex] with Ws running around the loop (attached). I want to know, without doing the full calculation, whether that would be more or less suppressed than second-order H[itex]\rightarrow b \bar{b}[/itex] (the same triangle diagram, except with bottom quark external legs instead of photons and a quark where the vertical W is.)

My thought was that you can use the cutting rules, so the relevant difference between the two is that H[itex]\rightarrow\gamma\gamma[/itex] has two WW[itex]\gamma[/itex] vertices and a W propagator, and H[itex]\rightarrow b \bar{b}[/itex] has two Wbb vertices and a fermion propagator. But plugging everything in, I get that H[itex]\rightarrow\gamma\gamma[/itex] should be more suppressed than second-order H[itex]\rightarrow b \bar{b}[/itex], which isn't correct. Does my approach make any sense?

Attachments

• higgstogaga.gif
    higgstogaga.gif
    3.9 KB · Views: 480
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, well there is no such vertex as Wbb. W's change up type quarks to down types and vice versa, so the quark in the loop must be some up type quark. So you have a CKM suppression factor in each of those vertices also. Although it will probably just be a top quark in the loop and I think the CKM factor V_tb is practically 1 so this is not too much of a bother. I suppose also that the top propagator is a bigger suppression than the bottom one so there is that too.

Related to Supression factor for triangle diagrams

1. What is the supression factor for triangle diagrams?

The supression factor for triangle diagrams is a measure of the degree to which a particular chemical element is depleted or enriched relative to other elements in a given sample. It is often used in geochemistry to study the processes that control the distribution of elements in the Earth's crust.

2. How is the supression factor calculated?

The supression factor is calculated by comparing the concentration of a particular element in a sample to the average concentration of that element in the Earth's crust. This is often represented graphically on a triangular diagram, where the supression factor is determined by the distance of a data point from the average composition of the crust.

3. What are some common applications of supression factor for triangle diagrams?

Supression factor for triangle diagrams is commonly used in various fields of science, including geochemistry, environmental science, and petrology. It can be used to identify the origin of a sample, track elemental fluxes in natural systems, and study the evolution of Earth's crust.

4. Can the supression factor be negative?

Yes, the supression factor can be negative. This indicates that a particular element is depleted in the sample compared to the average crustal composition. On a triangle diagram, this would be reflected by a data point falling below the average composition line for that element.

5. How does the supression factor help in understanding geochemical processes?

The supression factor provides a quantitative measure of elemental depletion or enrichment, which can help identify the processes that are responsible for the distribution of elements in a sample. It can also be used to compare different samples and track changes in elemental concentrations over time, providing insight into the evolution of Earth's crust and the processes that shape it.