Supreme Court upholds Affordable Care Act

• News
  • Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Act
In summary, the Supreme Court upheld subsidies for people who buy health insurance on the Affordable Care Act marketplaces, which will continue to be available for the next year.
I really can't stress the above enough. Health care is not the same as health care financing.

It's not a detail, or a technicality. One is a doctor providing care. The other is money passing through ACO bank accounts. One is a pill. The other is a contract between corporations.

Example: The VA provides health care. Medicare is insurance. You can go to a doctor who works for the VA. You have to find a doctor who will take Medicare.

Health care is not the same thing as health insurance.

Likes Evo, billy_joule and mheslep
Physics news on Phys.org
Hornbein said:
Wendell Potter was a senior VP at a major health insurer (most recently doing $30B in business). According to him the insurance sector loves Obamacare.

I'd love a law that forced people to tithe to me, too.
(Well actually i wouldn't. That's thievery.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendell_Potter
On September 15, 2009, Potter appeared before the United States House of Representatives Democratic Steering and Policy Committee. Potter said in his opening statement that if Congress "fails to create a public insurance option to compete with private insurers, the bill it sends to the president might as well be called the Insurance Industry Profit Protection and Enhancement Act."[8]

According to PBS Frontline,
"No Public Option" was the insurance industry's condition for electing Obama .in '08
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/obamasdeal/

i'd have been for ACA if it'd had the public option.

Last edited:
Likes gjonesy
gjonesy said:
Notice the words insurance and health care are interchangeable terms in the context in which they were used here.

No, those are never interchangeable, and it is not semantics. I gave very concrete examples of how different the two terms are.

I do agree that you thought they were interchangeable. That doesn't make it true.

jim hardy said:
I'd love a law that forced people to tithe to me, too.
(Well actually i wouldn't. That's thievery.)

Yea, it sounds like a good deal for insurance companies that the gov't now requires people to have health insurance. However, it also capped (admin + profits) and increased administrative costs (what does that do to the above equation?).

The thing that's so bad about posts like yours, is that I worked in commercial health insurance as an actuary. I was opposed to the ACA as it was being made law, and spent years implementing it. I watched it tank commercial profitability, and watched as insurance companies moved on to new areas of business, such as Medicare and Medicaid.

You think I think it was great, when I don't.

That makes you wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is off the rails and is closed. Posts that do not meet the guidelines have been removed.