Suppose I get the eigenvalues of A, which are

• Thread starter sessomw5098
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eigenvalues
In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that the eigenvalues of f(A), given a polynomial f(x), are f(λ1), f(λ2), ..., f(λn). It is possible to show this by using the fact that if A has an eigenvector v with eigenvalue λ, then f(A)(v) = f(λ)v. This can be shown by expanding f(A) and using the property that Anx = λnx.
sessomw5098
Suppose I get the eigenvalues of A, which are [tex]\lambda_{1},\lambda_{2},\dots \lambda_{n}[/tex]. Also, given any polynomial f(x), I get the eigenvalues of f(A). I'm trying to show that the eigenvalues of f(A) are [tex]f(\lambda_{1}),f(\lambda_{2}),\dots f(\lambda_{n})[/tex]. Is this possible? How would I go about showing this?

Physics news on Phys.org

if f(x) = anx^n +...+a1x + a0, and A has an eigenvector v with eigenvalue λ,

then f(A)(v) = (anA^n +...+a1A + a0I)(v)

= an(A^n(v)) +...+ a1(A(v)) + a0(v) =

= an((λ^n)v) +...+ a1(λv) + a0(v)

= (anλ^n +...+a1λ + a0)(v) = f(λ)v, so f(λ) is an eigenvalue of f(A).

hi sessomw5098! :smile:

(have a lambda: λ :wink:)

hint: if Ax = λx, what is Anx ? :wink:

Related to Suppose I get the eigenvalues of A, which are

1. What are eigenvalues and why are they important in scientific research?

Eigenvalues are a set of numbers that are associated with a square matrix and represent the scaling factor of the eigenvectors of the matrix. They are important in scientific research because they provide crucial information about the behavior and properties of linear systems.

2. How do I calculate the eigenvalues of a matrix A?

The process of finding the eigenvalues of a matrix A involves solving the characteristic equation det(A-λI)=0, where λ is the eigenvalue and I is the identity matrix. This can be done either by hand using algebraic methods or by using computational tools such as MATLAB or Python.

3. Can a matrix have complex eigenvalues?

Yes, a matrix can have complex eigenvalues. This occurs when the matrix is not a real matrix, meaning it contains imaginary numbers. In this case, the eigenvalues will also be complex numbers.

4. How many eigenvalues can a matrix have?

The number of eigenvalues that a matrix can have is equal to its dimension. For example, a 3x3 matrix can have up to 3 eigenvalues. However, not all matrices will have distinct eigenvalues. Some may have repeated eigenvalues, while others may have zero eigenvalues.

5. What can the eigenvalues of a matrix tell us about its properties?

The eigenvalues of a matrix can provide information about its diagonalizability, invertibility, and determinant. They can also reveal important characteristics of the matrix, such as its stability, convergence, and rank. Additionally, the eigenvalues of a matrix can be used in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as in data analysis and differential equations.