Suppose i am performing the diffraction experiment using a single electron

In summary, the electron does not give a continuous distribution of energy along the screen at the same time.
nouveau_riche
i was going through the diffraction experiment and had a question that i would like to ask:

suppose i am performing the diffraction experiment using a single electron,firstly how the energy contained in electron in terms of its physical properties such as charge,angular momentum and spin can be seen in waves?.
second, if i put an apparatus to look for the electron how is the energy of wave transforming back into the particle and then seen in nature of particle such as spin, angular momentum and charge?

or if someone could tell me that how is the field energy of particle is transformin into the energy of wave. it appears as if there is a violation to conservation of energy.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

nouveau_riche said:
i was going through the diffraction experiment and had a question that i would like to ask:

suppose i am performing the diffraction experiment using a single electron,firstly how the energy contained in electron in terms of its physical properties such as charge,angular momentum and spin can be seen in waves?.
It isn't. An electron is a particle ;)
It is the position (and, therefore, momentum) wavefunction that has the wave properties.

The deBroglie "matter waves" are a stepping-stone concept to help you get used to this.
Basically, matter and energy are the same thing - energy has a frequency - therefore matter has a frequency - therefore we expect to see wave-like behavior from matter.
for eg. [itex]E=mc^2=h\nu[/itex] relates the wave and material properties. However - the actual wave is statistical rather than physical - it's just called that because the math is similar to the math for physical waves.

(note: when we talk about the energy of an electron we usually mean it's kinetic energy or the combination of rest-mass and kinetic energy. Energy due to, say, charge would be electromagnetic potential energy.)
second, if i put an apparatus to look for the electron how is the energy of wave transforming back into the particle and then seen in nature of particle such as spin, angular momentum and charge?
It isn't - the electron was always a particle.

In wave mechanics, the electron source and the slits "prepare the initial state" of the electron ... the slits act to measure the position of the electron, establishing the position wave-function. The narrower and fewer the slits the more certain the position, which makes the momentum very uncertain ... and it is the momentum that exhibits interference.

This interference determines the probability of detecting an electron at some place.

See: http://arxiv.org/pdf/quant-ph/0703126]
... the notation can be a bit scary if you are not used to it, just take it slow.

Last edited:

Simon Bridge said:
It isn't. An electron is a particle ;)
It is the position (and, therefore, momentum) wavefunction that has the wave properties.

it's just called that because the math is similar to the math for physical waves.

So what will you say about the diffraction pattern. The electron should not give a continuous distribution of energy along the screen at same time.

nouveau_riche said:
So what will you say about the diffraction pattern.
It's pretty :)
The electron should not give a continuous distribution of energy along the screen at same time.
The electron does not give a continuous energy along the screen at the same time.
Each electron's energy arrives at a particular spot on the screen in one go.

The interference and diffraction come from the statistical behavior.
I believe I covered this in the rest of my previous reply.

You are thinking of the classical models for particles and waves.

i get it

Related to Suppose i am performing the diffraction experiment using a single electron

1. What is the purpose of using a single electron in a diffraction experiment?

The purpose of using a single electron in a diffraction experiment is to study the wave-like behavior of particles and to observe the diffraction pattern that is produced when a single electron passes through a narrow slit or aperture.

2. How is the diffraction pattern affected by the wavelength of the single electron?

The diffraction pattern produced by a single electron is affected by its wavelength. As the wavelength decreases, the diffraction pattern becomes more spread out and vice versa. This is known as the wave-particle duality of electrons.

3. Can the diffraction experiment with a single electron be used to determine the size of the electron?

No, the diffraction experiment with a single electron cannot be used to determine the size of the electron. This is because the diffraction pattern is influenced by the size of the aperture or slit, rather than the size of the electron itself.

4. Can the diffraction experiment with a single electron be used to observe interference?

Yes, the diffraction experiment with a single electron can be used to observe interference. When the single electron passes through two or more slits, it creates an interference pattern similar to that of light, demonstrating the wave-like nature of electrons.

5. How is the diffraction experiment with a single electron different from the double-slit experiment?

The diffraction experiment with a single electron is different from the double-slit experiment in that it uses only one slit or aperture, whereas the double-slit experiment uses two. Additionally, the diffraction experiment with a single electron is used to study the behavior of a single particle, while the double-slit experiment is used to study the behavior of multiple particles at once.