Supplementary books for undergraduate physics

In summary, the student is unhappy with the content of the physics course he is taking and is looking for supplemental reading that will help him to broaden his knowledge.
xiMy
Hi guys.
I have reached 5.th semester of my bachelors degree and I am not too thrilled with my timetable. I already glimpsed into some solid-state physics introductions and find it beyond boring.
Advanced quantum theory will be ok I guess.
What I am looking for are either books that will help to get a better understanding of the basics
I already know of
A Student's Guide to Maxwell's Equations
and
Div, Grad, Curl, and All That: An Informal Text on Vector Calculus
-Is there something similar for tensor algebra too?

or sth that can arouse interest in physics in generel.

Do you know of any fun, unusual, niche physics textbooks?

Thank you very much for your help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if nobody else will ask, I will: why are you majoring in physics if you find it so boring? If you think it's boring when you are still in the stage where you are learning something new every day, how boring will it be when you are working full time on a single problem day in and day out? Do you really want to spend your life like that?

Anybody smart enough to get as far as you have in a physics curriculum can find the answer to your OP with ten minutes of searching this site, or with Google. The answer to your implied question is, change majors before it's too late to do so.

I am not quite sure what changing majors is suppossed to mean.
I am not studying in the US but in Germany. And here you have to apply for your subject in the undergraduate( bachelor) degree. Changing your subject doesn't really happen.
I just said that solid state physics appears quite boring to me and I am wondering if someone could recommend some "fun physics" or basics which could help to broaden my basic knowledge. I don't think that physics is too boring for me in general only that that semester seems quite dry.
Does that make sense?

Well then, the standard answer for students who want supplemental reading is "Feynman's Lectures on Physics." Everything else is a matter of taste; you might search Amazon.com for a subject you want to read about, and read the customer reviews to find one that seems to suit you.

Hi there,

I completely understand your concerns about the standard textbooks for undergraduate physics. It can be difficult to find engaging and interesting material when it comes to the fundamentals of physics. However, I am glad to hear that you are interested in finding supplementary books to help with your understanding and to potentially spark your interest in physics.

I would recommend checking out "The Theoretical Minimum" series by Leonard Susskind and George Hrabovsky. These books cover topics such as classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and special relativity in a more conversational and intuitive way, making them a great supplement to traditional textbooks.

As for tensor algebra, "Tensor Calculus for Physics: A Concise Guide" by Dwight E. Neuenschwander is a highly recommended text that covers the basics of tensor algebra in a clear and concise manner.

In terms of fun and niche physics textbooks, "The Physics of Superheroes" by James Kakalios and "The Manga Guide to Physics" by Hideo Nitta are both great options that use pop culture references and illustrations to make physics concepts more relatable and enjoyable.

I hope these suggestions help and that you are able to find some books that pique your interest and enhance your understanding of physics. Best of luck in your studies!

Related to Supplementary books for undergraduate physics

1. What are supplementary books for undergraduate physics?

Supplementary books for undergraduate physics are additional resources that can be used alongside standard textbooks to enhance understanding and knowledge of various topics in physics.

2. Are supplementary books necessary for undergraduate physics students?

While standard textbooks provide a solid foundation, supplementary books can offer a different perspective and deeper understanding of complex concepts. They are not necessary but can be beneficial for students looking to excel in their studies.

3. How do I choose the right supplementary book for my undergraduate physics course?

It is important to consider the topics covered in your course and find a supplementary book that aligns with them. You can also read reviews and ask for recommendations from professors or other students.

4. Can supplementary books replace standard textbooks in undergraduate physics?

No, supplementary books should not replace standard textbooks. They are meant to supplement and enhance understanding, not serve as the primary source of information.

5. Are there any free online resources for supplementary books in undergraduate physics?

Yes, there are many free online resources such as open access textbooks, lecture notes, and video lectures that can serve as supplementary materials for undergraduate physics courses. It is always important to check the credibility and accuracy of these resources before using them.