Supersonic Airfoil + Bow Shocks

In summary, the conversation discusses finding lift and drag coefficients for a supersonic airfoil and the challenges of handling bow shocks. The individual is unsure if it is valid to split the flow into two regimes and treat them separately when one regime has a bow shock, and is seeking insight on the matter.
Pilgrimman

Homework Statement

Hey all,

In my Gas dynamics class we need to find the lift and drag coefficients of a supersonic airfoil (diamond shaped) for a range of AoA and Mach numbers. I can easily handle any situation where oblique shocks or Prandtl-Meyer expansions occur, but I'm unsure how to handle bow shocks. If the half angle is, say, 5° and the AoA is 15° with a Mach number of 1.1, then observing the top half of the airfoil I would conclude that there is a Prandtl-Meyer fan at the leading edge. However, observing the bottom half, I would conclude that a bow shock exists for the bottom half.

My question is: is it valid to split the upper and lower halves of the flow into two regimes and treat them separately when one regime has a bow shock? I would think in real life that the bow shock from the bottom would screw up the flow on top and make the flow subsonic over the whole airfoil.

Homework Equations

There aren't really any... This is conceptual.

The Attempt at a Solution

My gut is telling me that a bow shock would cause both the top and bottom halves of the flow to be subsonic. On the other hand I can't shake the feeling that maybe the bow shock somehow "terminates" near the leading edge and the upper half of the flow can be handled via a Prandtl-Meyer fan. Any insight??

Attachments

• Diagram.png
    Diagram.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 605
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone? I'm seriously at a loss here...

Related to Supersonic Airfoil + Bow Shocks

What are supersonic airfoils and bow shocks?

Supersonic airfoils are specially designed wing shapes that are used on aircraft flying at supersonic speeds. Bow shocks are the shock waves that form around these airfoils as they move through the air.

Why are supersonic airfoils and bow shocks important in aircraft design?

Supersonic airfoils and bow shocks play a crucial role in aircraft design because they affect the aerodynamics and performance of the aircraft. Understanding how they behave and interact with the air is essential in creating efficient and stable supersonic aircraft.

How do supersonic airfoils and bow shocks affect flight?

Supersonic airfoils and bow shocks can create drag, increase fuel consumption, and cause instability in flight. They also produce loud sonic booms, which can be disruptive to people and animals on the ground.

What are the challenges in designing supersonic airfoils and managing bow shocks?

The main challenge in designing supersonic airfoils is to minimize the effects of shock waves and maintain smooth airflow over the wing. Managing bow shocks also requires careful consideration of factors such as wing sweep, thickness, and shape to reduce their negative impact on flight.

How is research on supersonic airfoils and bow shocks advancing?

With the development of advanced technologies and computer simulations, researchers are constantly exploring new designs and techniques to improve supersonic airfoil performance and reduce the negative effects of bow shocks. This research is crucial in the development of faster and more efficient supersonic aircraft.