Where Can I Find Useful Resources for Vector Calculus?

In summary, the teacher in this class lectures from the book and a book that is of little help. There are online resources (or inexpensive books) for higher level calculus, but the student does not remember how to do things if he does not understand what he is doing and why.
Macgyver
I am in a vector calculus class with a teacher that lectures from the book (and gives very few examples) and a book that is of little help.

Do any of you know some helpful online resources (or inexpensive books) for higher level calculus?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a Schaum's Outline in Vector Analysis which covers a majority of what you will ever need. Do a Google search on vectors and you find a bunch of material out there. Almost every course in physics starts with some type of refresher in vectors, just look online for notes.

dt

I learned a lot of vectors in Stanley I. Grossman's book "Multivariable calculus, Linear algebra and Differential equations" Though the book might be expensive.

As someone who's had to teach from these god awful books and encountered attitudes such as this, do you , Macguyver (Patty and Selma would approve), realize that these ideas and examples are trivially dull and easy? How many of the worked examples have you started and gone through, looking back at the method when you get stuck? All the things you are looking at are simple formulae that require no understanding of what's going on, and if you think you need to understand in some higher meta-sense then it is because you aren't understanding that you do not need to understand what, say, grad(f) is to calculate grad(f), it's just a bloody formula, and that through working it out a few times, only then will you understand what the formula means.

Matt, I'm not in need of the examples as much as I am the explination of the definitions and th methods. I have trouble remembering how to do something if I don't understand what I am doing and why. To me a definition without the reasoning behind it is usless since i can't adapt it to a specific problem. I didn't mean for it to sound like i was blaming my professor for my confusion.

Once you know the method it works for all cases, that is one of the nice things about calc. IT just takes practise and memeory.

It is up to yourself will you understand things deeper or not. When there's a definition or a theorem in a book you might just agree with it or think for a while to understand what does it really mean.

If I may interject with a slightly dubious analysis, did you ever learn a foreign language? Did you ask why? When you were told the word for breakfast did you quesytion why, what does it mean that petit dejeuner (or whatever) is breakfast in French? No, you didn't, you learned the words, and the rules and mathematics is no different, you're just learning a language and its use.There are no big metaphysical things going on, no ontological debates about why this is what it is, they're just definitions that you need to apply. Later you might learn how to apply it from people who have specific uses in mind, but it is not relevant to the learning of how to do things. One general formula is worth a thousand worked examples.

What I meant is like, when you see a definition of a derivative [f(x+h)-f(x)]/h, you don't just remember by heart "ef ex plus eich minus ef ex divided by h" and say "I know what derivative is", but you try to understand what the equation contains and finally understand that it means the velocity of function's changing or however to interpret. Even if it's not told in the book that it is shows the velocity, you can figure it out with a little thinking.

which also ties into the Fundamental Theorm of Calculus... Where you state that d/dx of antiderivative of f(x) is f(x)...

If there is not a deep feeling for the workings of the equations... then how did Srinivasa Ramanujan "see" these wonderful series and stuff in his head? Its a deep understanding alright...

What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with vector fields, which are mathematical objects that associate a vector with every point in space. It is used to study the behavior and properties of vector fields, and is essential in many areas of science and engineering.

What are some common applications of vector calculus?

Vector calculus has many applications in physics, engineering, computer graphics, and other fields. Some examples include fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, computer animation, and optimization problems.

What resources are available for learning vector calculus?

There are many resources available for learning vector calculus, including textbooks, online videos and tutorials, and interactive software programs. Some popular resources include "Vector Calculus" by Jerrold E. Marsden and Anthony J. Tromba, the Khan Academy's vector calculus course, and Wolfram Alpha's Vector Calculus Course Assistant.

What are some important concepts in vector calculus?

Some important concepts in vector calculus include vector fields, line integrals, surface integrals, and the gradient, divergence, and curl operators. These concepts are used to analyze and manipulate vector fields and solve various problems in physics and engineering.

How can I improve my skills in vector calculus?

The best way to improve your skills in vector calculus is to practice solving problems and working with vector fields. You can also seek out additional resources, such as tutoring or study groups, to help enhance your understanding and mastery of the subject.