Superposition Tutorial Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of superposition and the confusion around the direction of current in a loop at around 3:50 in a video. The person asks if the current should be going counter-clockwise instead of clockwise as shown in the video. The expert explains that although electrons are the actual carriers of current, it is convention to consider the positive charges as the ones moving in the direction of current."
siylence
I'm trying to learn superposition but I'm confused with this part of the video at around 3:50:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nisdYIkIYXo&NR=1

The guy makes the current go clockwise from positive to negative in the loop, but I think that's a mistake... Am I wrong to think the current should be going counter-clockwise?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Current is defined as the rate at which positive charge is transferred. So electrons will move in the opposite direction since they have a negative charge.

Edit: I hope this was your question since I didn't view the video.

The current is going from the positive node to the negative node in the video according to his drawing. Am I wrong to think this should be the other way around?

Although it is electrons which are the mobile charge carriers which are responsible for electric current in conductors such as wires, it has long been the convention to take the direction of electric current as if it were the positive charges which are moving.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/elecur.html"

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Superposition Tutorial Question

1. What is superposition?

Superposition is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that a quantum system can exist in multiple states simultaneously until it is observed or measured. This means that an object can be in two or more places or states at the same time.

2. How does superposition work?

Superposition works through the concept of wave-particle duality, which states that particles can behave as both waves and particles. This means that a particle can exist in a superposition of states, with each state represented by a different wave function.

3. What is the significance of superposition?

The significance of superposition lies in its ability to explain the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It also has important implications for technology, such as in quantum computing and cryptography.

4. Can superposition be observed?

No, superposition cannot be observed directly. When a system is observed, it collapses into one of its possible states, destroying the superposition. However, the effects of superposition can be observed through various experiments and measurements.

5. How is superposition different from classical physics?

Superposition is a concept that is unique to quantum mechanics and has no classical equivalent. In classical physics, particles can only exist in one state at a time, while in quantum mechanics, they can exist in multiple states simultaneously through superposition. This is one of the key differences between the two theories.