Superposition principle explained

In summary, quantum mechanics (QM) is a theory that focuses on the results of measurements. The wave function represents the statistical probabilities of different outcomes, and the system remains in an indefinite state until a measurement is performed. This is known as the collapse of the wave function. Some believe that decoherence provides an explanation for this phenomenon, but there is still controversy surrounding it. QM does not suggest that quantum objects make decisions, but rather describes the probabilities of measurement outcomes. It may be beneficial to teach QM in an axiomatic way rather than following its historical development.
rasp
I'm taking an introductoruy course on QM and qubits and my professor is frustrating me by using anthropromorphic terms to decribe superposition. He says, " the electron doesn't make up its mind to be in the ground or excited state until the measurement". Can someone give me a better explanation?

Physics news on Phys.org
The wave function dictates the statistical probabilities.The wave function smears all possible conditions of the system and only upon some kind of measurement ie. A collapse of the wave function, will some particular state of the system be measurable.

I'd suggest you look up the basics, uncertainty principle would be a good start, before you involve yourself in probability and superposition and all the confusion that imparts. I don't think it's that much of a headache to think that a wave remains in a state that is indefinable until measurement, just because that is a given. How can one express an epistemology of system one has no knowledge of without assigning variables to an unknown that are possible and "random". To put it simply after all, if I could not look at the ripples in a pond, but I could touch them, I would see that once I had imparted energy to the "water" the ripple patterns had changed because I touched them, I would have no knowledge of the intitial system because I could not see it. Feynman lectures are always an amazing place to start. You can find them in many places, Google them. :)

QM is a theory about the results of measurements. All you can do is predict the probabilities of what the outcome of a measurement will be until you actually do it. Then it instantaneously changes to another state that implies different measurement probabilities. This is the collapse of the wavefunction issue and is a deep mystery - although many people including me think decoherence resolves it - but it is controversial. Quantum objects never make up their mind about anything - what the theory describes is the probabilities of measurement outcomes. What it 'does' between measurements is interpretation dependent but certainly it never 'makes up its mind'. My view is between measurements it does nothing other than be in a 'state' that determines the probability of measurement outcomes if you were to actually do one - at rock bottom that is what QM is about - predicting the probabilities of observational outcomes.

Of recent times I am starting to form the view the way we teach it is not quite correct. We should be teaching it from first principles in an axiomatic way rather than closely follow the historical development and experiments. Check out:
http://arxiv.org/pdf/quant-ph/0101012v4.pdf

Basically it's a new type of probability theory that allows continuous transformation between pure states.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:

Related to Superposition principle explained

What is the Superposition Principle?

The Superposition Principle is a fundamental concept in physics that states that when two or more waves or fields are present in a system, the total response at any point is the sum of the individual responses from each wave or field.

What is the significance of the Superposition Principle?

The Superposition Principle allows us to understand and predict the behavior of complex systems by breaking them down into simpler components. It is essential in fields such as optics, acoustics, and electromagnetics, and is also a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics.

How does the Superposition Principle apply to electromagnetic waves?

In the context of electromagnetic waves, the Superposition Principle states that when two or more waves are present in a medium, the electric and magnetic fields at any point are the vector sum of the individual fields from each wave.

What is the difference between constructive and destructive interference in relation to the Superposition Principle?

Constructive interference occurs when two or more waves combine to produce a larger amplitude, whereas destructive interference occurs when two or more waves cancel each other out and produce a smaller or zero amplitude. The Superposition Principle explains how these phenomena occur.

How is the Superposition Principle used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the Superposition Principle states that a quantum system may exist in multiple states simultaneously, until it is measured or observed. This is known as quantum superposition and is a fundamental principle in understanding the behavior of subatomic particles and systems.