Superposition particles in a box

In general, any measurement or observation will cause some form of decoherence or collapse in the quantum system.
Dillon B
If I had a box with a bunch of particles in superpositions in it, what would I find if I found the mass of the box?
First: Is it possible to have have box like this? If not what about theoretically.
Second: Does weighing the box collapse the superposition of the particles?
Third: Could I, by weighing the box without particles in it then with superposition particles in it determine the mass of the objects inside without collapsing their states?
Fourth: If no to 3, then how can measuring the box have any effect on the particles in the box?
Fifth: Am I missing something that make this all irrelevant and impossible?

I'm probably missing something here, thanks to anyone who can help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Yes. In fact, systems are always in superposition from some perspectives.
2. In most interpretations of quantum mechanics, there is no such thing as collapse. Instead, one talks in terms of decoherence. But, in the loose sense in which it is popularly thought about, Yes, weighing the box will cause some form of collapse. Whether the collapse is of interest depends on exactly what it is about the particles inside the box that we want to know.
3. No. We cannot weigh something without in a sense collapsing some of its wavefunctions.
4. Because to weigh something, the scale must interact with the thing being weighed. That interaction between the systems generates decoherence, which is thought of as 'collapse'. In this case, the interaction is via two sub-interactions: Scale tray to Box, and Box to Particles inside.
5. No, the questions are perfectly reasonable from the point of view of a non-physicist. The difficulty is that the notion of 'collapse' is not well defined and even less well understood. To the extent that it means anything definite, that thing is not what many non-physicists think it means.

Likes Dillon B
andrewkirk said:
3. No. We cannot weigh something without in a sense collapsing some of its wavefunctions.
We can keep all the superpositions we might be interested in, however.

Dillon B said:
If I had a box with a bunch of particles in superpositions in it, what would I find if I found the mass of the box?

Strictly speaking, we can't answer this question because we don't have a theory of quantum gravity. (I'm assuming that the superposition you are describing includes states that have different energies and therefore different masses.)

Quantum mechanics works perfectly well with weak gravitational fields. As an example, we can observe neutrons "bounce" above a surface - with well-defined quantum states.

Likes vanhees71
Doesnt the box itself measure the particles and results in collapse?

Trollfaz said:
Doesnt the box itself measure the particles and results in collapse?
That depends on the details of the interaction between the box and the particles.

Related to Superposition particles in a box

What is the concept of superposition particles in a box?

The concept of superposition particles in a box refers to the idea that a particle can exist in multiple states simultaneously within a confined space, known as a "box". This concept is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of subatomic particles.

How does superposition affect the behavior of particles in a box?

Superposition allows particles in a box to exhibit wave-like behavior, meaning they can simultaneously exist in multiple states with different probabilities. This allows for phenomena such as interference and tunneling, which cannot be explained by classical physics.

What is the significance of studying superposition particles in a box?

Studying superposition particles in a box allows us to better understand the behavior of subatomic particles and their role in the physical world. It also has practical applications, such as in quantum computing and cryptography.

Can superposition particles in a box be observed directly?

No, superposition particles in a box cannot be observed directly as their state collapses into a single state when measured. However, their effects can be observed through experiments and measurements.

Are there any real-world examples of superposition particles in a box?

Yes, there are real-world examples of superposition particles in a box, such as in the double-slit experiment where particles exhibit wave-like behavior and interfere with each other. Superposition is also utilized in technologies such as scanning tunneling microscopes.