Superposition of traps (thought experiment)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of optical traps in an interferometer experiment and the possibility of using a balance to measure which trap absorbs more light. The speaker also raises questions about pure states and density matrices in this setup.
PaleMoon
Hi Pf
Instead of placing a screen on each path of an interometer i propose to place opticz traps.
in both cases it will unable the photon to go further.
i wonder if one on the traps will be heavier or if there will be symmetry (superposition).

Physics news on Phys.org
What interferometer would that be ?

it might use a beam splitter but remember that it is only a thought experiment.
It does not matter if there are no sufficiently precise measuring devices. my question is more about pure states or densitu matrices.

when we have screens on the paths we only have to open our eyes to see on which sreen the particle was. Suppose now that the traps are on the two paths and also on each side of a roberval balance. Have i only to open my eyes to see in which trap it is?

PaleMoon said:
it might use a beam splitter but remember that it is only a thought experiment.
It does not matter if there are no sufficiently precise measuring devices. my question is more about pure states or densitu matrices.
[QUOTE="PaleMoon]]when we have screens on the paths we only have to open our eyes to see on which sreen the particle was. Suppose now that the traps are on the two paths and also on each side of a roberval balance. Have i only to open my eyes to see in which trap it is?[/QUOTE]
You will have to describe your setup more clearly before anyone will be able to answer which trap absorbs more light. However, we can say that whatever the result is, it makes no difference whether you open your eyes or not - the balance will measure whatever it measures even if no one ever looks.

Related to Superposition of traps (thought experiment)

1. What is the concept of superposition of traps?

The concept of superposition of traps is a thought experiment that explores the principles of quantum mechanics. It involves imagining a system with multiple traps or potential wells, and a particle that can exist in a superposition of being in two or more traps at the same time.

2. How is superposition of traps related to quantum mechanics?

Superposition of traps is related to quantum mechanics because it highlights the principle of superposition, which states that a particle can exist in multiple states or locations at the same time. This is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is essential to understanding the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

3. What is the significance of superposition of traps in quantum computing?

In quantum computing, superposition of traps is a crucial concept as it allows for the manipulation and control of quantum states. By utilizing the principle of superposition, quantum computers can perform complex calculations and solve problems that are impossible for classical computers to solve in a reasonable amount of time.

4. Can superposition of traps be observed in real life?

No, superposition of traps is a thought experiment and cannot be observed in real life. However, the principles and concepts explored in this thought experiment have been observed and verified in various experiments and are the basis of many practical applications in quantum mechanics and quantum computing.

5. What are some potential applications of superposition of traps?

Superposition of traps has potential applications in quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum information processing. It can also be used to better understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level, which can lead to advancements in other fields such as materials science and medicine.