Superposition of simple harmonic oscillations

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of adding harmonic oscillations on the same axis. The speaker knows how to do it, but is curious about the reasoning behind it and how it relates to the principle of superposition. They mention that it can only be applied to linear systems.
confucius
I know how to add harmonic oscillations on the same axis but i was wondering why can i do it? If i have x1(t)=Asin(w1t +fi1) and x2(t)=Bsin(w2t +fi2), why can i say that the resultant motion is x=x1+x2. Once again I am not interested in the solution because i know how to derive it but how to derive superposition of given oscillations from the fact that forces can be superposed. It is just my hunch that it has to be that. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks for your answers and i apologise for my bad english.

Science news on Phys.org
I didn't think you could always do it...you can only apply superposition to linear systems.

Related to Superposition of simple harmonic oscillations

What is superposition of simple harmonic oscillations?

The superposition of simple harmonic oscillations refers to the phenomenon where two or more simple harmonic oscillators interact with each other and their combined motion is described as the sum of their individual oscillations.

How does superposition affect the motion of simple harmonic oscillators?

When two or more simple harmonic oscillators are superposed, their individual motions combine to form a resulting motion. This can result in changes in amplitude, frequency, and phase of the oscillations.

What are the conditions for superposition to occur?

For superposition to occur, the oscillators must be independent of each other and the forces acting on them must be linear. This means that the resultant force on each oscillator is directly proportional to its displacement from equilibrium.

What is the mathematical representation of superposition?

The mathematical representation of superposition is the principle of superposition, which states that the resultant displacement of a system of oscillators is equal to the sum of the individual displacements of each oscillator.

What are some real-life examples of superposition of simple harmonic oscillations?

Some examples of superposition of simple harmonic oscillations include the motion of a pendulum, the vibrations of a guitar string, and the oscillations of a mass-spring system. These systems can exhibit superposition when multiple oscillators are present, such as multiple pendulums swinging together or multiple strings being plucked on a guitar.