Superposition of Harmonic Waves

In summary, the problem asks to find the resultant of two harmonic waves with specific amplitudes, phases, and periods. The formula used is tanα = [3sin(π/6-2πt) + 4sin(π/2-2πt)]/[3cos(π/6-2πt) + 4cos(π/2-2πt)]. To solve, the given waves are expanded in terms of sine and cosine, and a resultant wave is determined by equating coefficients of the sine and cosine terms. The values for E and ψ can then be found.
azolotor

Homework Statement

Find the resultant of the superpostion of two harmonic waves in the form

E=Ecos(α-ωt)

with amplitudes of 3 and 4 and phases of π/6 and π/2 respectively. Both waves have a period of 1s.

Homework Equations

ω=2πf = 2π/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I first plugged everything in so you get:

E=3cos(π/6-2πt)
E=4cos(π/2-2πt)

then I used the formula

tanα = [3sin(π/6-2πt) + 4sin(π/2-2πt)]/[3cos(π/6-2πt) + 4cos(π/2-2πt)] to get the angle. I am unsure of what to do. I understand the formula in the book conceptually for adding the two waves of different phases but I am unsure of how to use it. Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
azolotor said:
tanα = [3sin(π/6-2πt) + 4sin(π/2-2πt)]/[3cos(π/6-2πt) + 4cos(π/2-2πt)] to get the angle. I am unsure of what to do. I understand the formula in the book conceptually for adding the two waves of different phases but I am unsure of how to use it. Thanks in advance
But you didn't post any such formula as a relevant equation. Or do you mean the tan α formula above? If so, what is α defined to mean in that equation?

Expand Ecos(wt - ψ) in terms of sin and cos. Do this for both your given waves.

Stipulate a resultant E'cos(wt - ψ'). Determine E' and ψ' by equating coefficients of the above-mentioned sines and cosines.

Related to Superposition of Harmonic Waves

1. What is the concept of superposition of harmonic waves?

The concept of superposition of harmonic waves refers to the phenomenon where two or more waves combine and form a single new wave. This is possible because waves are characterized by their amplitude, frequency, and phase, and when two or more waves have the same frequency and phase, they can add up or cancel out depending on their amplitudes. This results in a new wave with a different amplitude, frequency, and phase.

2. How does the superposition of harmonic waves affect the amplitude of the resulting wave?

The amplitude of the resulting wave in superposition is determined by the sum of the individual amplitudes of the waves involved. If the waves have the same amplitude and are in phase, then the resulting wave will have a higher amplitude compared to when they are out of phase. On the other hand, if the waves have opposite amplitudes, they will cancel each other out and result in a wave with zero amplitude.

3. What is the difference between constructive and destructive interference in the superposition of harmonic waves?

Constructive interference occurs when two waves with the same frequency and phase combine to form a resulting wave with a higher amplitude. This happens when the peaks of the waves align and add up, resulting in a wave with a larger amplitude. On the other hand, destructive interference occurs when two waves with opposite phases combine to form a resulting wave with a lower amplitude or no amplitude at all. This happens when the peaks of one wave align with the troughs of the other, canceling each other out.

4. Can the superposition of harmonic waves occur in different media?

Yes, the superposition of harmonic waves can occur in different media as long as the waves have the same frequency and phase. This is because the properties of the medium, such as density and elasticity, only affect the speed of the wave, not its frequency or phase. As a result, the waves can still add up or cancel out when they meet, regardless of the medium they are traveling through.

5. How is the concept of superposition of harmonic waves applied in real-life situations?

The superposition of harmonic waves has many practical applications, such as in noise-canceling headphones, where sound waves from outside are canceled out by producing an inverted wave with the same frequency and amplitude. It is also used in seismic imaging to study the properties of Earth's subsurface, and in music production to create different types of sound effects. Additionally, superposition is an essential concept in quantum mechanics and is used to explain the behavior of particles and waves at the atomic and subatomic level.