Superposition of Electric Fields

In summary, the problem at hand involves finding the electric field at point A in the diagram with given charges q1=2.00 μC and q2=3.00 μC (for part (a)) or q1=2.00 μC and q2=-3.00 μC (for part (b)). The solution involves using Coulomb's law, which states that the electric force between two charges is proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. To find the electric field at A, we use the formula kQ/r^2, where k is Coulomb's constant, Q is the source charge, and r is the distance from the charge. Since
Jimerd
I know this problem is simple enough but I can't get the hang of it

Find the electric field at point A in the diagram if (a) q1=2.00 μC and q2=3.00 μC. (b) q1=2.00 μC and q2= -3.00 μC.

physics.png

Thank you.

P.S. If you can explain how you solved the problem that would be great. I'd really like to know what it is that I'm doing.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

(9E9)(2E-6)(3E-6)/(0.5)^2=0.216 but the text tells me the answer is 1.26E5 for (a) so I'm not sure how to go about this.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're using Coulomb's law, that is only applicable to finding the force between two charges. You are looking for the field at A. To find the field from a point charge, you would use kQ/r^2, where k is Coulomb's constant, Q is the source charge, and r is the distance from the charge. Electric fields super impose, so you can find the field from each charge separately and then add them together.

Related to Superposition of Electric Fields

What is superposition of electric fields?

The superposition of electric fields is a principle in electromagnetism that states that when multiple electric fields are present in a given space, the resulting electric field at any point is the vector sum of the individual electric fields at that point.

How does the superposition of electric fields work?

The superposition of electric fields works by adding the electric field vectors of each individual field at a given point. This results in a net electric field that takes into account the direction and magnitude of each individual field.

What is the significance of superposition of electric fields?

The significance of superposition of electric fields is that it allows us to understand and calculate the behavior of complex electrical systems. By breaking down the system into individual electric fields, we can use the principle of superposition to determine the resulting electric field at any point.

Can superposition of electric fields be applied to both static and dynamic electric fields?

Yes, superposition of electric fields can be applied to both static and dynamic electric fields. In the case of dynamic fields, the principle holds true as long as we consider the fields at a single moment in time.

Are there any limitations to the principle of superposition of electric fields?

Yes, there are limitations to the principle of superposition of electric fields. It assumes that the medium in which the electric fields are present is linear and homogeneous. It also does not take into account any interactions between the fields themselves.