Superposition of electric fields from uniform charge density

In summary, the electric field at the point (2R, 0, 3R) is the sum of the electric fields from the plane and the sphere.
jamdr

Homework Statement

Ok, here's the problem. It deals with the superposition of electric fields from uniformly charged shapes: A uniformly charged infinite plane is located at z = 0, with a surface density of charge σ. A uniformly charged spherical shell with the same surface density is located at (0, 0, 3R), with radius R. Find the magnitude and direction of the electric field at the point (2R, 0, 3R). I've drawn a diagram:

2sb0l0h.jpg

Homework Equations

To find the electric field at the point, you just add the electric fields from the plane and the sphere:

[tex]E=\frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon_{0}} + \frac{Q}{4 \pi R^{2} \epsilon_{0}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm confused about the direction, however, or how to finish solving this. I know I only need to count the z-component of the electric field from the infinite plane because the x and y cancel. But what about the sphere? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm pretty sure you can't treat the hemisphere as a point charge, I'll crunch the numbers in a sec, but I suggest you look at it yourself.

I got the equation for the spherical shell from my textbook, which uses it as an example. It says this about it:

Electric field due to a uniformly charged spherical shell. Outside the shell, the field lines have spherical symmetry: they diverge from the origin. The field line pattern is the same as that due to a point charge at the origin, and the mathematical expression for the electric field is the same, too. Inside the shell, there are no field lines at all, and E=0.

Honestly, point charges are about as far as we've gotten in my class, so I think I should stick with that.

Can I replace Q with this:

[tex]Q=\sigma 4\pi R^{2} [/tex]

That would mean the electric field from the spherical shell is:

[tex]E_{shell}= \frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_{0} } [/tex]

Although I'm still not sure about the direction part of if anything else I've done so far is correct.

jamdr said:
I got the equation for the spherical shell from my textbook, which uses it as an example. It says this about it:

Electric field due to a uniformly charged spherical shell. Outside the shell, the field lines have spherical symmetry: they diverge from the origin. The field line pattern is the same as that due to a point charge at the origin, and the mathematical expression for the electric field is the same, too. Inside the shell, there are no field lines at all, and E=0.

Honestly, point charges are about as far as we've gotten in my class, so I think I should stick with that.

Your textbook discusses a full hollow sphere. Here you're dealing with a hemisphere, which is a different matter altogether.

Or did you write something different and I misunderstood because of the diagram?

Right now I'm constructing a complicated integral to find the field distribution of this hemisphere, so I think that if need be, you should just say that it's a full hollow sphere because dealing with a hemisphere is outside the scope of your abilities.

If it is supposed to mean a full hollow sphere, then yes, treating it as a point charge is A-okay. :)

From there, there remains only the question of actually superposing the fields. Which means just adding the individual contributions together.

The uniformly charged plane only contributes in the z direction and the hollow sphere contributes along the line connecting its center with the point in question.

The reasoning for this is from Coloumb's Law for a point charge:

[tex]\vec F_e=\frac{KQq\hat r}{r^2}[/tex]

[tex]\vec E=\frac{KQ\hat r}{r^2}[/tex]

[tex]\vec E || \hat r[/tex]

jamdr said:
Can I replace Q with this:

[tex]Q=\sigma 4\pi R^{2} [/tex]

That would mean the electric field from the spherical shell is:

[tex]E_{shell}= \frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_{0} } [/tex]

Although I'm still not sure about the direction part of if anything else I've done so far is correct.

No, that is not true.

The radius in the point-charge situation,
[tex]\frac{Q}{4\pi \epsilon_0 r^2}[/tex] is the distance from the point charge to the the point where you want to know the electrical field.

When calculating what Q actually is, you're referring to the surface area of the sphere, in which case, you need to use the radius of the sphere, R.

That's an important distinction to make, because it's a bad notation scheme that can get you mixed up in the middle of a test or exercise and burn off a lot of time.

Last edited:

Related to Superposition of electric fields from uniform charge density

What is superposition of electric fields from uniform charge density?

Superposition of electric fields from uniform charge density is a principle in electromagnetism that states that the total electric field at any point in space is the vector sum of the electric fields created by each individual charge present in the space. It is often used to calculate the electric field in a region with a uniform distribution of charge.

How is superposition of electric fields from uniform charge density calculated?

The electric field at a point due to a single charge can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. To calculate the total electric field at a point due to multiple charges, the individual electric fields are added together vectorially.

Why is superposition of electric fields from uniform charge density important?

Superposition of electric fields from uniform charge density is important because it allows us to calculate the electric field in complex systems with multiple charges. This principle is also used in many real-world applications, such as in designing electronic circuits and in understanding the behavior of charged particles in electric fields.

What are the limitations of superposition of electric fields from uniform charge density?

The principle of superposition of electric fields from uniform charge density assumes that the charges are stationary and that the medium in which they are present is a perfect insulator. In reality, charges may be in motion and the medium may not be a perfect insulator, which can affect the accuracy of the calculations.

How does superposition of electric fields from uniform charge density relate to the principle of superposition in physics?

The principle of superposition in physics states that the total effect of a number of independent causes acting on a system is the sum of the effects of each individual cause. In the context of electric fields, this means that the total electric field at a point is the sum of the electric fields created by each individual charge. Therefore, superposition of electric fields from uniform charge density is a specific application of the principle of superposition in physics.