Superposition of 3 forces on a point charge

In summary, the problem involves four charges placed on the corners of a rectangle. The goal is to find the resultant force on a positive charge located at a given position. The equation used is F = k(qq) / r^2 and the attempt at the solution involves using superposition to find the horizontal and vertical components of each vector. The final answer should be rounded to the proper number of digits after keeping more digits during the intermediate steps.
jenzao

Homework Statement

Four charges are placed on the corners of a rectangle. What is the resultant force on the positive charge (a = 1.5 m, b = 0.5 m, q = 1.1 × 10-9C)?
(see attached drawing)

Homework Equations

Im having problems summing the forces using superposition

The Attempt at a Solution

F = k(qq) / r^2

F1 = 4e-9 (r=1.5m)
F2 = 4e-8 (r=0.5m)
F3 = 4e-9 (r=1.58m)

then when i try to superimpose i get probs..
i put tail of F1 vector at origin, then put tail of F2 vector ontop tip of F1.
I do the same for F3.
then i draw line from tail of F1 to tip of F3.
this is equal to 2*F3.
= wrong

please help. it has to be something with doing superposition wrong i think??

Attachments

• showme.gif
    showme.gif
    2.8 KB · Views: 476
Physics news on Phys.org
I'll suggest figuring out the horizontal and vertical component of each vector (using sine and cosine), and find the resultant by adding up components.

jenzao said:
F1 = 4e-9 (r=1.5m)
F2 = 4e-8 (r=0.5m)
F3 = 4e-9 (r=1.58m)

What is the direction of each of these vectors?

Also, you should check your arithmetic and keep more digits until you reach the final answers. For F1 I get 4.84e-9 which is a big difference!

Always keep more digits during the intermediate steps, until you reach your final answer, and only then round it off to the proper number of digits.

Last edited:

Related to Superposition of 3 forces on a point charge

1. What is superposition of 3 forces on a point charge?

Superposition of 3 forces on a point charge refers to the principle in physics that states that when multiple forces are acting on a single point charge, the resulting force is the vector sum of all the individual forces.

2. Why is superposition of 3 forces on a point charge important?

This principle is important because it allows us to analyze and understand the overall effect of multiple forces on a single point charge, which is crucial in many fields of science, including electromagnetism and mechanics.

3. How do we calculate the superposition of 3 forces on a point charge?

To calculate the superposition of 3 forces on a point charge, we use vector addition. This involves breaking down each force into its components, then adding the components of all the forces together to find the resultant force.

4. What are some real-life examples of superposition of 3 forces on a point charge?

Some examples of superposition of 3 forces on a point charge include the electric fields created by multiple charges in an electrical circuit, the gravitational forces acting on a satellite in orbit, and the tension forces in a bridge under various loads.

5. What happens if the 3 forces acting on a point charge are in opposite directions?

If the 3 forces acting on a point charge are in opposite directions, the resultant force will be the difference between the two forces. This is known as destructive interference, where the forces cancel each other out and the net effect is zero.