Superposition of 2 waves problem

In summary, the conversation is about determining the amplitude and phase of the resultant motion when two sinusoidal motions with the same frequency and direction are combined, with amplitudes of 3.0cm and 4.0cm and a phase difference of pi/2 radians. The formula A'= sqrt(A1^2 + A2^2 + 2*A1*A2*cos(phi2 - phi1)) is used to find the new amplitude, which is calculated as 5cm. The formula tan(phi3) = (A1*sin(phi1) + A2*sin(phi2)) / (A1*cos(phi1) + A2*cos(phi2)) is used to find the phase, with the resulting value being phi
paul11273
I am having trouble with this question. Any help would be appreciated.

Q. Determine the amplitude and phase of the resultant motion when two sinusoidal motions having the same frequency and traveling in the same direction are combined, if their amplitudes are 3.0cm and 4.0cm, and they differ in phase by pi/2 radians.

We have been covering wave interference, and how they either constructively or destructively interfere.

What I believe I need to find the new amplitude is:

A'= sqrt(A1^2 + A2^2 + 2*A1*A2*cos(phi2 - phi1))

Letting A1=4, A2=3, phi1=0 and phi2= pi/2 radians

Then I calculate A' as 5cm. I think this is correct. In fact, I graphed the sum of the two equations, Y3 = Y1+Y2 and the max amplitude verifies as 5cm.

Now I am having trouble with the phase.

I am trying to use:

tan(phi3) = (A1*sin(phi1) + A2*sin(phi2)) / (A1*cos(phi1) + A2*cos(phi2))

Using the same assignments above for the A1, A2 etc...

tan(phi3) = (4sin(0) + 3sin(pi/2)) / (4cos(0) + 3cos(pi/2))
tan(phi3) = (0 + 3) / (4 + 0)
phi3 = arctan(3/4)
phi3 = .643501pi radians ?

Is this correct? Am I writing this wrong? I know this is basic, but I am blanking out, and having trouble here.

Also, the text we are using does not address the superposition of two waves with different amplitudes and a phase shift. The prof's notes are impossible for me to follow. I even broke out my precalc text, and only confused myself further.

Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the two waves differ in phase by pi/2 then why don't you just take one to be a sine and the other a cosine? That will simplify your calculations quite a bit.

E.g. if you have A cos x + B sin x then the amplitude is A' sqrt(A^2+B^2) and the new phase is simply phi = -atan(B/A). (The combined wave is A' cos(x + phi))

Tide-
I see what you mean on the new amplitude. The prof gave us that near the end of the lecture, and he also showed us that:

If A'cos(phi)=A
A'sin(phi)=B

Then tan(phi')=B/A
and phi' can then be calculated.

But what is the phi used in the sin and cos functions of these arguements?
That is why I didn't try this approach. I basically don't know how to apply it. I have been bouncing it around all morning, but I am hitting dead ends.
Can you provide some more guidance?
Thanks.

Paul,

The basic idea is this:

Starting with A cos x + B sin x divide by S = sqrt(A^2 + B^2) (of course you have to compensate by multiplying by S which becomes the amplitude!). Now simply define A/S = cos phi and B/S = sin phi. (You can think of A and B as the sides of a right triangle so S is the hypotenuse and the phi is one of the angles of the right triangle).

Once you have that then A cos x + B sin x = cos phi * cos x + sin phi * sin x and you can now use the obvious trig identity.

I am sorry Tide, but I looked at this over the weekend, and I am still not getting this method of solving.

I am going to submit this problem with the long method I showed above, and my final answers are A'=5cm, and phi'=.644 radians. I hope this is correct.

However, I would like to fully understand your method, so if you can (or someone else in case Tide is tired of dealing with this), please explain in further detail.

Specifically, I am not getting your first step:

Starting with A cos x + B sin x divide by S = sqrt(A^2 + B^2) (of course you have to compensate by multiplying by S which becomes the amplitude!).

Thanks.

[tex]A \cos x + B \sin x = \sqrt {A^2 + B^2} \frac {A \cos x + B \sin x}{\sqrt {A^2 + B^2}}[/tex]

Now define

[tex]\frac {A}{\sqrt {A^2 + B^2}} = \cos \phi[/tex]
[tex]\frac {B}{\sqrt {A^2 + B^2}} = \sin \phi[/tex]

[tex]A \cos x + B \sin x = \sqrt {A^2 + B^2} \left( \cos x \cos \phi + \sin x \sin \phi \right)[/tex]

Finally, use the trig identity on the last part.

Related to Superposition of 2 waves problem

1. What is the concept of superposition of 2 waves?

The concept of superposition of 2 waves refers to the phenomenon where two or more waves overlap and combine to form a resultant wave. This is a fundamental principle in physics and is used to explain the behavior of waves in various systems.

2. How is the superposition of 2 waves calculated?

The superposition of 2 waves is calculated by adding the displacement of each individual wave at a given point in space and time. This is known as the principle of superposition and it assumes that waves do not interact with each other.

3. What is the difference between constructive and destructive interference in the superposition of 2 waves?

Constructive interference occurs when two waves of the same frequency and amplitude combine to produce a resultant wave with a larger amplitude. This is often seen as a crest meeting a crest and a trough meeting a trough. Destructive interference, on the other hand, occurs when two waves of opposite amplitude and frequency combine to produce a resultant wave with a smaller amplitude or zero amplitude. This is often seen as a crest meeting a trough.

4. How does the superposition of 2 waves affect the amplitude and energy of the resulting wave?

The amplitude of the resulting wave in the superposition of 2 waves is determined by the sum of the individual amplitudes of the two waves. If the waves have the same amplitude, the resulting wave will have an amplitude that is twice that of each individual wave. The energy of the resulting wave is also affected by the superposition, as it is determined by the square of the amplitude. This means that the energy of the resulting wave will be four times that of each individual wave if they have the same amplitude.

5. What are some real-life applications of the superposition of 2 waves?

The superposition of 2 waves is a fundamental principle in many fields of science and has various real-life applications. Some examples include noise-cancelling headphones, where sound waves from the environment are cancelled out by creating an opposite wave, and musical instruments, where harmonics are created through the superposition of multiple waves. It is also used in seismology to study earthquakes and in optics to understand the properties of light.