Superposition, Moving Around CKT Elements

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of voltage division, KCL, and KVL in a circuit with dependent and independent sources. It also addresses the conventional wisdom of deactivating dependent sources when using superposition and suggests a method to solve the circuit with the dependent current source still in place.
eatsleep
Uxse28D.png

2. V=IR, Voltage division, KCL, KVL
3. When I short out the dependent current source by replacing it with an open, can I switch the location of the independent source and the 20 ohm resistor so I can do a voltage division to find the voltage across the 20ohm resistor which is then equal to Vo because they are in parallel?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The conventional wisdom is that you can't deactivate dependent sources when doing superposition. See this for more info:

http://users.ece.gatech.edu/mleach/papers/superpos.pdf

But, if you did short the dependent current source in your circuit, the 20 ohm resistor would also be shorted, wouldn't it? So your voltage divider wouldn't have any output since one leg of it would be zero ohms.

eatsleep said:
When I short out the dependent current source by replacing it with an open,
"short" ≠ "open"

I'd retain the dependent current source where it is. Find the contribution of the voltage source to Vo. Then find the contribution of the current source to Vo.

Solve the equations twice, once with the 3A source removed and once again with the 15V source set to zero volts (a wire in other words).

In each case the dependent current source 2Ix must remain in place.

I would like to clarify that superposition, moving around circuit elements, and using equations such as V=IR, voltage division, KCL, and KVL are all fundamental principles in circuit analysis. These principles allow us to understand and predict the behavior of complex electrical circuits.

Regarding the second part of your question, yes, it is possible to switch the location of the independent source and the 20 ohm resistor in order to perform a voltage division and find the voltage across the 20 ohm resistor. This is because in a parallel circuit, the voltage across each component is the same. However, it is important to note that this calculation assumes ideal conditions and may not always hold true in real-world scenarios. It is always best to verify your results through simulation or experimentation.

Related to Superposition, Moving Around CKT Elements

1. What is superposition?

Superposition is a principle in physics that states that when multiple waves or forces are acting on an object, the resulting motion or behavior is the sum of the individual effects of each wave or force.

2. How does superposition apply to circuit elements?

In circuit analysis, superposition is used to simplify the analysis of complex circuits. It states that the total current or voltage in a circuit is equal to the sum of the individual currents or voltages caused by each source acting alone, with all other sources turned off.

3. What are the limitations of using superposition in circuit analysis?

Superposition can only be applied to linear circuits, where the relationship between current and voltage is constant. It also assumes that the circuit elements are ideal and do not have any internal resistance or capacitance.

4. How do you move around circuit elements in a circuit?

To move around circuit elements in a circuit, you can use Kirchhoff's laws, which state that the total current entering a junction must equal the total current leaving the junction, and the total voltage around a closed loop must equal zero.

5. What is the purpose of moving around circuit elements?

Moving around circuit elements allows you to rearrange the circuit in a way that makes it easier to analyze. It can also help you identify any potential problems or errors in the circuit design.