Superconductivity and magnetic fields

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between electricity, magnetic fields, and the superconductive state. It is mentioned that materials in the superconductive state can produce magnetic fields, but the Meissner-effect states that these fields will be pushed out of the specimen. The conversation also touches on theoretical concepts such as magnetic monopoles and quark confinement. The idea of energy loss due to an emitted field is discussed and it is concluded that a wire does not lose its magnetic field when it reaches a superconductive state, but it can lose its superconductivity if subjected to a critical magnetic field. However, some materials may be able to interact with external magnetic fields without losing their superconductivity.
mios76
Hello. :rolleyes:

Do some materials have a magnetic field when electricity runs through them and they are in the superconductive state?

Do they lose energy because of that field?

Thank you.

Miro

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mios76 said:
Hello. :rolleyes:

Do some materials have a magnetic field when electricity runs through them and they are in the superconductive state?

Do they loose energy because of that field?

Thank you.

Miro

The Meissner-effect states that magnetic field lines will be pushed out of a specimen in the superconductive state. Yet suppose you were looking at two magnetic monopoles which ofcourse are "connected " via a magnetic field. In the superconductive state the magnetic field lines must be pushed out due to Meissner but then again some field lines must remain because of the two present magnetic "charges". The result will be that some of the remaining field lines will be pushed together and thus forming the socalled fluxtube.

Keep in mind that this is a theoretical picture because no magnetic monopole has yet been observed in experiments. If you were to replace the electric field by the magnetic field you have a very interesting picture though : the magnetic monopoles are now two electrical charges, say two quarks. They are connected via an electrical field that must bring these charges over due to Gauss' law. But the dual Meissner now pushed out electrical fields in stead of magnetic fields and the superconducting state is now represented by dual Cooper pairs (you know : not two electrons in a pair but two magnetic monopoles). The two quarks will again have an electrical fluxtube between them along which we find a linear potential. This means, the closer the quarks, the more stable this state...This could form an explanation for the quarkconfinement to some level.

Check out my journal if you want to know more...

regards
marlon

A current running through any material will produce a mgnetic field. With a superconductor, you get to pass a lot more current than in a conventional metal, so you can make bigger magnetic fields. This is why high-field magnets are wound from superconducting wire.

And when you say "lose energy", what are you comparing to ? Are you suggesting that they radiate power, or do you mean something else ?

I am sorry. I meant to write: “Do they lose energy because of that field?”
I wanted to know whether magnetic field being emitted by a current in the wire inhibits this wire to reach a superconductive state.

Thank you all for your answers.

Miro :biggrin:

mios76 said:
I wanted to know whether magnetic field being emitted by a current in the wire inhibits this wire to reach a superconductive state.
Not in the sense that there is a loss of energy due to an "emitted field". A field is not emitted. But I suspect what you are really looking for is the critical magnetic field (Hc) for a superconductor.

When a superconductor is subjected to fields greater than some critical value, (which usually has a roughly [itex]H_c ~ \alpha~1-(T/Tc)^2 [/itex] dependence on temperature) it loses its ability to exclude the applied field; or it loses its superconductivity. And since a current produces a magnetic field, you can reach this critical field simply by ramping up to a corresponding critical current (Ic).

I suggest this conclusion:
A wire doesn’t lose its magnetic field produced by a current when it reaches a superconductive state.
However, this superconductor excludes all external magnetic fields. If we use magnetic fields, which exceed a critical value, then we lose superconductivity.
Of course, there are exemptions with some materials. If we use strong external magnetic field, which overcomes a critical value of the superconductor, then the superconductor interact with the external field without losing its own superconductivity.
I hope I’m not wrong.

Miro :redface:

Related to Superconductivity and magnetic fields

What is superconductivity and how does it relate to magnetic fields?

Superconductivity is a phenomenon in which certain materials can conduct electricity with zero resistance when cooled to very low temperatures. Magnetic fields play a crucial role in superconductivity as they can either enhance or hinder its effects. When a superconductor is placed in a magnetic field, it can experience a variety of behaviors depending on the strength and direction of the field.

What are the types of superconductors and how are they affected by magnetic fields?

There are two types of superconductors: type I and type II. Type I superconductors have a critical magnetic field, above which they lose their superconducting properties. Type II superconductors, on the other hand, can tolerate higher magnetic fields and are often used in practical applications.

What is the Meissner effect and how does it demonstrate the relationship between superconductivity and magnetic fields?

The Meissner effect is the expulsion of magnetic fields from the interior of a superconductor. When a superconductor is cooled below its critical temperature and placed in a magnetic field, the magnetic field lines are pushed out of the superconductor, resulting in a complete absence of magnetic flux within the material.

How do magnetic fields affect the critical temperature of a superconductor?

Magnetic fields can suppress the critical temperature of a superconductor, meaning that a higher magnetic field is required to maintain superconductivity at lower temperatures. This is known as the upper critical field. On the other hand, magnetic fields can also enhance the critical temperature for certain types of superconductors, known as type II superconductors.

What are the practical applications of superconductivity and magnetic fields?

Superconductors have a wide range of practical applications, including use in MRI machines, particle accelerators, and power transmission. Magnetic fields also play a crucial role in these applications, as they are used to maintain the superconducting properties of the materials and manipulate their behavior. Additionally, the study of superconductivity and magnetic fields has led to advancements in materials science and physics research.