Superconducting train principle

In summary, the Superconducting train uses a special superconducting coil and magnetic track to sustain a high electrical current and magnetic field at low temperatures. The liquid in the cup is nitrogen at -200 C. This technology is used in the Maglev train, which is explained further in a YouTube video and Wikipedia article.
Robcheese101
The SuperConducting Train

The Superconducting train principle, I've seen this video on Geekologie and then followed the link to Youtube. The thing is i don't understand the physics behind this, and would love for someone to be able to explain how its working, especially the contents of the liquid in the cup.

I am an A-Level physics student ( Waves & Pariticles ) And am very interested to know how this works, this would be mainly for me to better my own knowledge and maybe even try to recreate it on a larger scale.

Please and Thankyou :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Robcheese101 said:
The SuperConducting Train

The Superconducting train principle, I've seen this video on Geekologie and then followed the link to Youtube. The thing is i don't understand the physics behind this, and would love for someone to be able to explain how its working, especially the contents of the liquid in the cup.

I am an A-Level physics student ( Waves & Pariticles ) And am very interested to know how this works, this would be mainly for me to better my own knowledge and maybe even try to recreate it on a larger scale.

Please and Thankyou :rolleyes:

The cup contains a special superconducting coil that is able to sustain a very high electrical current and corresponding magnetic field at low temperature (the liquid is nitrogen at about -200 C). The track is magnetic as well. That is as far as I can help you. There is a lot of technology in that cup. Have a look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeS_U9qFg7Y&NR=1" for a better explanation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maglev_%28transport%29" explains the principles of the Maglev train.

AM

Last edited by a moderator:

I am excited to see your interest in understanding the Superconducting train principle. This concept utilizes the principles of superconductivity, which is the ability of certain materials to conduct electricity with zero resistance at very low temperatures. In the case of the Superconducting train, liquid nitrogen is used to cool the superconducting material to extremely low temperatures, allowing it to exhibit this unique property.

The liquid in the cup is most likely liquid nitrogen, which has a boiling point of -196°C. This extremely low temperature is necessary to cool the superconducting material, which is usually made of a ceramic or metallic compound. When the material reaches this temperature, it becomes a superconductor and can conduct electricity without any resistance.

By utilizing this property, the Superconducting train is able to levitate above its tracks, eliminating any friction and allowing it to travel at high speeds with minimal energy consumption. This is possible because the superconducting material creates a magnetic field, which repels against the magnetic field of the track, causing the train to float.

To recreate this on a larger scale, one would need to have a track made of superconducting material and a train with superconducting magnets. The track would need to be cooled to extremely low temperatures, and the train would need to be propelled using an external source of energy such as a magnetic field. This technology is still in its early stages and is being researched for potential use in high-speed transportation systems.

I hope this explanation has helped you understand the physics behind the Superconducting train principle. Keep learning and exploring the wonders of science!

Related to Superconducting train principle

1. What is a superconducting train?

A superconducting train is a type of transportation system that uses superconducting materials to levitate and propel trains at high speeds without any friction or resistance.

2. How does a superconducting train work?

A superconducting train works by utilizing the Meissner effect, which causes a superconductor to repel magnetic fields. The train has superconducting magnets on its undercarriage that are cooled to a very low temperature, creating a superconducting state. This allows the train to float above the track and be propelled forward by the repulsion of magnetic fields.

3. What are the advantages of a superconducting train?

The main advantage of a superconducting train is its high speed and efficiency. Since there is no friction between the train and the track, it can reach speeds of up to 500 km/h. Additionally, the lack of mechanical contact reduces wear and tear on the train and tracks, making it a more durable and low-maintenance mode of transportation.

4. What are the challenges of implementing a superconducting train system?

One of the main challenges is the cost of building and maintaining such a system. The superconducting magnets and cryogenic equipment needed for cooling are expensive and require a lot of energy to operate. There are also safety concerns, as a failure in the cooling system could cause the train to lose its levitation and potentially crash.

5. Are there any superconducting trains in operation currently?

Yes, there are several superconducting train systems in operation around the world. The most well-known is the Maglev train in Shanghai, China, which can reach speeds of up to 430 km/h. There are also smaller-scale systems in Japan, Germany, and South Korea. However, due to the high costs and challenges associated with superconducting trains, they are not yet widely used for mass transportation.