Superconducting field inhibits radiation heat transfer?

In summary, superconducting windings and a vacuum space create a magnetic field that is supposed to shield an object from radiation heat transfer. However, the author of the letter seems to have mistaken thermal radiation for electromagnetic interference. There is no evidence to support the idea that a strong magnetic field created by superconducting windings would block radiation heat transfer.
Q_Goest
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I'm reviewing a letter regarding the sheilding of an object using a superconducting magnet as is commonly found in MRI machines. The claim is that the magnetic field created by superconducting windings (wire which is carrying a current and thus creating a magnetic field) and wrapped around an object will prevent radiation heat transfer to the object. It actually says the magnetic field will shield the object from electromagnetic energy including thermal energy and infrared radiation. This winding is thus supposed to shield the object from thermal radiation heat transfer from the environment.

What do you think? Is there any reason to believe a strong magnetic field created by superconducting windings should block radiation heat transfer?

Engineering news on Phys.org
maybe it is not the magnetic field that is insulating the object..
maybe it is the fluid that is super cooling the superconductor..
question , what kind of resistane can be achieved in the superconducting coil?
can you post some specs of this device ..i am very interrested

The only way to prevent radiation heating is to have insulating shields, which should have the same temperature as an object. Normally the supeconducting magnets are cooled by liquid helium. So, if you have an outside walls at the 4.2K, the radiation heat transfer TO the object will be greatly reduced.

It seems that the author of the letter somehow mistake thermal radiation and electromagnetic interference. It is true, that any thick enough metallic layer can provide electromagnetic shielding, and superconductors are kind of perfectEMI shields, though not ideal. But the thermal radiation comes not from outside but from the neighboring surfaces, thus if we surround the object by a high temperature superconductor, we can greatly reduce the interference, but we still have a strong thermal radiation.

Finally, magnetic field has nothing to do with thermal radition, at least on achivable scale.

willib

Thanks for the reply, and also apologize for being a bit obtuse here. Unfortunately I'm not at liberty to explain some details.

maybe it is not the magnetic field that is insulating the object..
maybe it is the fluid that is super cooling the superconductor..

The superconducting windings are at a temperature suitable for superconductivity, ie: less than 40 Kelvin. There is a vacuum space and thermal shielding (multi-layer insulation) around these coils to minimize heat transfer from the environment, but there is also an object inside the coils at a temperature equal to the temperature of the windings. Coils like this are typically immersed in liquid helium which acts as a thermal mass so that they stay cold. The helium is recondensed or replaced depending on the technology employed.

what kind of resistane can be achieved in the superconducting coil?

Typical superconducting wires like these handle hundreds of amps with zero resistance. The current is initiated using a power source and a superconducting switch then changes the current source from an external source, and allows the current to come right back to it's starting point all within the magnet so the windings and switch are all superconducting. Since there is no resistance, the current (hundreds of amps) continues to flow essentially forever without additional power.

shyboy

magnetic field has nothing to do with thermal radition, at least on achivable scale.

Yes, I'd agree, but because of the source, I had to ask - I wasn't absolutely sure. I can't understand how anyone can suggest that thermal radiation is blocked or even significantly reduced by the magnetic field created but I'm not a real expert at this.

I'd just like to ensure that when I open my big mouth to suggest that this paper is off the wall with it's contention that thermal radiation is somehow blocked or reduced by the magnetic field, I don't find my foot in there!

Q_Goest said:
Typical superconducting wires like these handle hundreds of amps with zero resistance. The current is initiated using a power source and a superconducting switch then changes the current source from an external source, and allows the current to come right back to it's starting point all within the magnet so the windings and switch are all superconducting. Since there is no resistance, the current (hundreds of amps) continues to flow essentially forever without additional power.
that is sooo cool , literally !

Related to Superconducting field inhibits radiation heat transfer?

1. What is superconductivity and how does it inhibit radiation heat transfer?

Superconductivity is a phenomenon where certain materials exhibit zero electrical resistance and perfect diamagnetism at extremely low temperatures. This property allows superconducting materials to create a strong magnetic field that can repel or inhibit the transfer of heat through radiation.

2. How does a superconducting field affect the transfer of heat through radiation?

A superconducting field creates a powerful magnetic field that can repel or inhibit the transfer of heat through radiation. This is because the magnetic field generated by a superconducting material is strong enough to deflect or scatter thermal radiation, preventing it from reaching its intended target.

3. What types of materials can exhibit superconductivity?

Superconductivity has been observed in a variety of materials, including metals, alloys, and compounds such as ceramics. However, the most commonly used superconducting materials are metals such as niobium, lead, and mercury, and alloys such as niobium-titanium and niobium-tin.

4. Can a superconducting field completely block radiation heat transfer?

While a superconducting field can significantly inhibit radiation heat transfer, it cannot completely block it. This is because some thermal radiation can still pass through the magnetic field, albeit at a reduced rate. Additionally, other modes of heat transfer, such as conduction and convection, may still occur.

5. Are there any practical applications for using a superconducting field to inhibit radiation heat transfer?

Yes, there are several potential applications for utilizing superconductivity to inhibit radiation heat transfer. For example, this property can be utilized in cryogenic systems to prevent unwanted heat transfer to or from the cold environment. Superconducting materials can also be used in thermal insulation or in the design of efficient heat exchangers.