Supercomputer Galaxy Simulation

In summary, astrophysicists from the University of Zurich and the University of California at Santa Cruz have created the world's first realistic simulation of the formation of the Milky Way galaxy. This simulation, partly calculated on the Swiss National Supercomputing Center, shows the importance of stars on the outer edge of the galaxy. However, there have been suggestions for improvements such as adding more detail, using 3-D graphics and showing smaller scale events like collisions and black hole activity. Overall, this simulation marks a significant advancement in our understanding of the formation of spiral galaxies.
Orion1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQBzdcFkB7w
Video Description said:
For almost 20 years astrophysicists have been trying to recreate the formation of spiral galaxies such as our Milky Way realistically. Now astrophysicists from the University of Zurich present the world's first realistic simulation of the formation of our home galaxy together with astronomers from the University of California at Santa Cruz. The new results were partly calculated on the computer of the Swiss National Supercomputing Center (CSCS) and show, for instance, that there has to be stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way.
Reference:
http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/206146/20110830/milky-way-galaxy-model-eris-supercomputer-spiral-galaxy-simulation.htm"

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Awesome. Thanks Orion.

Nice!

How does this explain the galactic halo & globular clusters?

May I offer constructive criticism? You know, like if I was in charge. I'd say, "you know guys, that's really nice and I'm proud of your work but I'd like a little more than that." For one, do away with that star-wars esque wording at the beginning. Too dramatic. And full-screen? How I get that to work? Need that. Also, it's too fast and it's 2-D. Would be nicer if it was 3-D on it's side and the viewpoint was fly-by into and out of it. Also, where's all that influx of matter coming from? Other galaxies I suppose. Oh, and color? What's wrong with adding that? When two galaxies collide, won't there be collisions, nova? Didn't see any of that. Also, what about the black-hole in the center, doesn't it ever feed? Isn't there a burst of gamma-rays when that happens? Not sure though. Would be nice to show that unless I'm off-mark with that. Guess what I'm sayin' is that I'd like to see a more energetic, more dynamic process rather than just a swirl of dots going round' the screen. So, "no offense guys. I'm sure you worked really, really hard on this. Nice start and all, job well done. But when's the second version coming out?"

You guys are welcome to criticize me. How could we make it better if we had more computer power or is anything (or everything) I'm saying inappropriate?. Just want more. We are so into a golden age of Astronomy in my opinion and I often think of the old masters when I see new advances being made today. :)

Last edited:
Jackmell, most of the things you are wanting to see are far too small and the timescale is way too condensed to see them. Also, this was not designed to be a simulation of how everything in the galaxy works and interacts, but merely to model the formation of the galaxy as a whole.

Related to Supercomputer Galaxy Simulation

1. What is a supercomputer galaxy simulation?

A supercomputer galaxy simulation is a highly complex computer program that uses advanced mathematical models to simulate the formation, evolution, and behavior of galaxies in the universe. It requires immense computing power to accurately simulate the intricate interactions between billions of celestial objects.

2. Why do scientists use supercomputer galaxy simulations?

Scientists use supercomputer galaxy simulations to better understand the processes and dynamics involved in the formation and evolution of galaxies. These simulations allow them to test different theories and hypotheses, and make predictions about the behavior of galaxies in the universe.

3. How accurate are supercomputer galaxy simulations?

Supercomputer galaxy simulations are constantly improving in accuracy as technology and computing power advance. However, they are still limited by our current understanding of the universe and the complexities involved in simulating such vast and complex systems. Thus, while they can provide valuable insights, they are not 100% accurate representations of reality.

4. What are the benefits of using supercomputer galaxy simulations?

Supercomputer galaxy simulations allow scientists to study and analyze processes and phenomena that would be impossible to observe in real life. They also provide a cost-effective and efficient way to test theories and hypotheses, as well as make predictions about future observations. Additionally, these simulations can help bridge the gap between theory and observation, leading to a better understanding of the universe.

5. How are supercomputer galaxy simulations created?

Supercomputer galaxy simulations are created using advanced mathematical models and algorithms to simulate the behavior of galaxies. These models incorporate key physical factors such as gravity, gas dynamics, and star formation, and are run on powerful supercomputers that can handle the immense amount of data and calculations involved. The results of these simulations are then analyzed and compared to observations to validate their accuracy.