Modem open port problem

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses issues with a modem on a computer running Windows ME and Windows XP. The modem can connect to the internet on Windows ME, but not on Windows XP. The suggestion is to check for updated drivers on the manufacturer's website. The conversation also touches on the availability and cost of broadband internet in different parts of the world. The final resolution is to reinstall the modem drivers and potentially consider upgrading to broadband.
Saint
I got 2 OS system, winME and winXP, same modem installed to the PC.
WinME can detect and dial up to internet with the modem, but winXP prompts me open port, i use modem diagnosis to query the modem, the modem can respond, but still open port after that.
How to fix it ?:frown:

Computer science news on Phys.org
My guess would be a compatibility issue with XP and your modem.

By now, surely there is XP drivers for that device.

I'd try looking your modems manufacturers website.

my modem is bluethunder, V90 56k modem.

Re-install the drivers.

no money!

get broadband anyways ad join the 21st century:wink:

In malaysia, initial installation of broadband (350kB/sec) will cost me 100 USD, after that, i got to pay USD25/month.
My company's internet speed is averaged at 30kB/s, fast enough for me to download.
So, save the money!

Sorry. Didn't realize you were Malay.. hehe I understand broadboand technology is not highly and cheaply available in all parts of the world.

I'm not malay, but a chinese born in malaysia.

Originally posted by Saint
I'm not malay, but a chinese born in malaysia.

Shen shen (ok ok I don't speak madarin;)

Muh bad! hehe

broadboand technology is not highly and cheaply available in all parts of the world.
Here broadband connection is very common and very cheap. I only need to pay about $12.5 USD per month for an unlimited access of internet using braodband! Good for downloading songs and movies.

1. What is a "modem open port problem"?

A "modem open port problem" refers to an issue where a port on a modem, which is a device that connects a computer to the internet, is left open and accessible to external connections. This can pose a security risk as it allows potential hackers to gain unauthorized access to the network.

2. How do I know if I have a "modem open port problem"?

You can check for open ports on your modem by using a port scanning tool. These tools scan for open ports on a network and can help identify any potential vulnerabilities. You can also contact your internet service provider to see if they offer any services or tools to check for open ports on your modem.

3. What are the risks associated with a "modem open port problem"?

The main risk of a "modem open port problem" is that it allows unauthorized access to your network. This can lead to data breaches, malware infections, and other cyber attacks. It can also result in slower internet speeds and increased network congestion.

4. How can I fix a "modem open port problem"?

The best way to fix a "modem open port problem" is to close the open port on your modem. This can usually be done through the modem's settings or by contacting your internet service provider. Additionally, make sure to regularly update your modem's firmware to ensure it has the latest security features.

5. How can I prevent a "modem open port problem" from happening?

To prevent a "modem open port problem," you should regularly check for open ports on your modem and close them if necessary. It is also important to keep your modem's firmware updated and to use strong passwords for your network to prevent unauthorized access. You can also consider using a virtual private network (VPN) for an added layer of security.