Sums of 6th and 7th degree powers

• Thread starter homegrown898
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree Sums
In summary, the conversation is about finding a solution to the equation (x+y)^6 = x^6 + y^6 assuming xy is not equal to 0. The posters are trying to find a contradiction by playing with the equation algebraically and using the binomial theorem. They are also using derivatives to show that the function f(x) = (x+1)^6 - x^6 - 1^6 is monotonically increasing. The conversation concludes with one poster trying to prove that there is no solution other than x=0 or y=0 for all possible values of x and y.
homegrown898
This is a very similar question to what I posted earlier.

Basically I am trying to find when (x+y)6 = x6 + y6 assuming that xy≠0

I am trying to play with it algebraically to find a contradiction, but have been unsuccessful

I'm also working on (x+y)7 = x7 + y7 assuming xy≠0

I'm trying to play with it algebraically to show the only other case is when y=-x

Mathematics news on Phys.org
1) We can take y=1. If an (x,y) exists such that the equality holds (with xy nonzero), then there also exists an x' such that the equality holds for (x',1).

2) Take y fixed. The goal is to prove that

[tex]f(x)=(x+1)^6-x^6-1^6[/tex]

has a zero. In order to do this, it suffices to show that f is monotonically increasing. Show this with derivatives.

micromass said:
1) We can take y=1. If an (x,y) exists such that the equality holds (with xy nonzero), then there also exists an x' such that the equality holds for (x',1).

has a zero. In order to do this, it suffices to show that f is monotonically increasing. Show this with derivatives.

[tex]f(x)=6x^5 + 15x^4 + 20x^3 + 15x^2 + 6x[/tex]

Guess where the zero is... anyways, the poster wants a non zero x in which x != -y. Really- remember that (x+y)^n has a simple binomial expansion... and subtracting (x^n+y^n) from it will leave you with the middle part...

Matt Benesi said:
[tex]f(x)=6x^5 + 15x^4 + 20x^3 + 15x^2 + 6x[/tex]

Guess where the zero is... anyways, the poster wants a non zero x in which x != -y. Really- remember that (x+y)^n has a simple binomial expansion... and subtracting (x^n+y^n) from it will leave you with the middle part...

You're making it a lot harder then it needs to be really.

micromass said:

I understand the approach you are taking, but I don't understand how setting y as a constant allows us to show that there is no solution to (x+y)6 = x6 + y6 other than x=0 or y=0 for all possible values of x and y

homegrown898 said:
I understand the approach you are taking, but I don't understand how setting y as a constant allows us to show that there is no solution to (x+y)6 = x6 + y6 other than x=0 or y=0 for all possible values of x and y

I just take an arbitrary y. And I try to prove that

[tex]f(x)=(x+y)^6-x^6-y^6[/tex]

has only one zero. That proves it because I took y arbitrary but fixed.

Related to Sums of 6th and 7th degree powers

1. What is the formula for finding the sum of 6th and 7th degree powers?

The formula for finding the sum of 6th and 7th degree powers is n^6 + n^7, where n is the number being raised to the power.

2. Can the sum of 6th and 7th degree powers be negative?

Yes, the sum of 6th and 7th degree powers can be negative. This can occur when the numbers being raised to the powers are negative or if the powers themselves are negative.

3. How is the sum of 6th and 7th degree powers useful in scientific research?

The sum of 6th and 7th degree powers can be useful in scientific research when analyzing and modeling complex systems that involve higher order polynomials. It can also be used to solve certain mathematical equations and in the study of thermodynamics.

4. Is there a pattern in the sum of 6th and 7th degree powers?

Yes, there is a pattern in the sum of 6th and 7th degree powers. When raising a number to these powers, the sum increases by a factor of n^6 for each subsequent number. This means that the sum for n+1 is equal to the sum for n plus n^6.

5. Can the sum of 6th and 7th degree powers be simplified?

Yes, the sum of 6th and 7th degree powers can be simplified in some cases. For example, if the powers have a common base, they can be combined into a single power using the rules of exponents. However, in most cases, the sum cannot be further simplified.