Summer study abroad vs. engineering internship

In summary: I decide not to go to grad school, then I'll go to grad school. In summary, if you want to pursue a career in industry, you should get industry experience. If you don't want to go to grad school, you can get industry experience and still pursue a career in industry.
Null_
Hey guys,

I'm having difficulty deciding what I want to do next summer. I'm currently a junior, so this is the last opportunity I have to do an engineering internship. Last summer I did an REU. I know I want to go into the renewable energy field, but I don't know if I need to go to grad school. I think I want to just because the idea of working in a chemical plant (I'm a ChemE) kind of depresses me.

Anyway, I have several companies who want me to do an internship with them this summer. I'm not particularly interested in any of them as they are mainly manufacturing. I have been browsing other options and think studying abroad or working at a national park would be awesome. I am just wondering if doing one of these things would hinder my chances at getting a job if I decide to not go the grad school route. I have lots of research experience but no industry experience. I think it could help my grad school application since I can relate my intended research to real-world experiences.

I really want to do the study abroad or cool park job because I love nature and new experiences, and this is probably one of the last opportunities until I retire that I have this opportunity. One plus of the industry job is the $$$, but I'm not very materialistic, so the lack of it (especially if the opportunity cost is living in an amazing area) is not especially hindering to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Null_ said:
Hey guys,

I'm having difficulty deciding what I want to do next summer. I'm currently a junior, so this is the last opportunity I have to do an engineering internship. Last summer I did an REU. I know I want to go into the renewable energy field, but I don't know if I need to go to grad school. I think I want to just because the idea of working in a chemical plant (I'm a ChemE) kind of depresses me.

Anyway, I have several companies who want me to do an internship with them this summer. I'm not particularly interested in any of them as they are mainly manufacturing. I have been browsing other options and think studying abroad or working at a national park would be awesome. I am just wondering if doing one of these things would hinder my chances at getting a job if I decide to not go the grad school route. I have lots of research experience but no industry experience. I think it could help my grad school application since I can relate my intended research to real-world experiences.
Industry experience is valuable, particularly if one interns at a company involved in renewable energy systems. Don't knock manufacturing; manufacturing establishes the initial conditions (Design and Implementation of the Design) for any engineered system, and that usually has a profound effect on how the system performs in its intended environment (O&M = Operations & Maintenance).

I really want to do the study abroad or cool park job because I love nature and new experiences, and this is probably one of the last opportunities until I retire that I have this opportunity. One plus of the industry job is the $$$, but I'm not very materialistic, so the lack of it (especially if the opportunity cost is living in an amazing area) is not especially hindering to me.
There's something called 'vacation', usually two or three weeks a year. As a professional, one should expect to compensated for one's efforts. One benefit of having sufficient money/funds is to realize opportunity to do cool things, like traveling abroad or spending a vacation at a National Park.

Thanks for the response. I'm not against manufacturing; I realize society (and I) rely on it, and I think it would be cool to see a product go through all stages of development through production. However, this isn't where my passion lies. I don't look at an assemble line and think "oh my god that's amazing" like I do when I look in nature. If I do end up working in industry, I see myself as more of a R&D person, always looking to improve the future. That said, I've talked to a lot of people in industry and they all recommend starting in manufacturing regardless of where you want to end up.

Right now, I'm 70% sure I want to go to grad school. Naturally, I'm wondering what the best thing for me to do this summer is...get industry experience (and $$$), or do a job totally unrelated to industry but appealing to me. If possible, I'd like to do another REU, but I know that they don't encourage people to do two during their undergraduate careers. I know people working normal jobs get vacations, but I want a job I love so much I don't need a vacation. I don't want to work to get vacations; I want to work for the betterment of the world (and my own enjoyment).

Related to Summer study abroad vs. engineering internship

What is the main difference between summer study abroad and engineering internship?

The main difference between summer study abroad and engineering internship is the focus of the program. Summer study abroad programs typically involve taking courses and earning academic credits in a different country, while engineering internships involve gaining hands-on experience in a professional setting.

Which option is better for gaining practical experience?

An engineering internship is generally considered to be the better option for gaining practical experience. This is because internships allow you to work on real-world projects and apply your knowledge in a professional setting, while study abroad programs may focus more on academic coursework.

Can study abroad programs offer engineering internships?

Some study abroad programs may offer engineering internships as part of their curriculum, but this is not always the case. It is important to research the specific program and see if internships are available and if they align with your career goals.

Which option is more beneficial for my future career?

Both summer study abroad and engineering internships can be beneficial for your future career, but in different ways. Study abroad programs can provide a global perspective and cultural awareness, while engineering internships can provide practical skills and industry experience. Ultimately, it depends on your career goals and what you hope to gain from the experience.

Are there any potential drawbacks to either option?

One potential drawback of summer study abroad programs is that they may not be as focused on a specific field of study, such as engineering, as an internship would be. On the other hand, engineering internships may have a more demanding workload and may not allow for as much free time for exploring and cultural immersion. It is important to weigh the pros and cons of each option and choose the one that aligns best with your goals and priorities.