Summer project ideas? Possibly a cyclotron?

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding a project to complete during the summer, with a preference for one related to particle physics, electromagnetism, or classical mechanics. Suggestions included building a small, home-made cyclotron (though materials may be difficult to obtain), a pulsejet or ionocraft, a Wilson cloud chamber for particle physics, a magnetic Foucault Pendulum for electromagnetism, a spectrograph for waves/optics, and a Betatron for electron particle acceleration. The speaker, a third year Math/Physics double major with a minor in computer science, expressed a desire for a more challenging and interesting project that is not too expensive. Suggestions and ideas are greatly appreciated, along with any explanations or resources on how to
WormBanshee
I'm looking for some sort of project to do this summer. I was looking around, and I heard about making a small, home-made cyclotron, but it sounds like materials would be hard to get and expensive.

So, does anyone have any examples of a great, preferably time-consuming project that I could complete over the next two months? Something about particle physics, or electromagnetism, waves/optics, or even just a fun contraption to build to study/demonstrate classical mechanics would be cool.

I'm a third year Math/Physics double major with a minor in computer science, so I have some amount of skill/experience and would prefer to tackle a more difficult and interesting project. Preferably a project that wouldn't be too expensive.

Thank you, any suggestions and ideas would be greatly appreciated (especially if you can explain or give a link to an explanation of how to do it).

Engineering news on Phys.org
Build a Pulsejet or if you're into electricity an ionocraft!

particle physics: Wilson cloud chamber

electromagnetism: magnetic Foucault Pendulum interacting with terrestrial magnetic field

waves/optics: spectrograph to measure emission and absorption lines of sunlight

A Betatron.

Its an electron particle accelerator and easy and simple to build if you'r not aiming for very high energies.
You can find info about on the wiki and google books.
I just don't have the tools to build that... if you succeed show us what you made :)

Related to Summer project ideas? Possibly a cyclotron?

1. What is a cyclotron?

A cyclotron is a type of particle accelerator that uses electromagnetic fields to accelerate charged particles. It is often used in scientific research to study the properties of subatomic particles.

2. How does a cyclotron work?

A cyclotron works by using a combination of electric and magnetic fields to accelerate charged particles in a circular path. As the particles gain energy, they are pushed to the outer edge of the cyclotron and eventually reach high speeds.

3. What are some potential summer project ideas involving a cyclotron?

Some potential summer project ideas involving a cyclotron could include designing and building a small-scale cyclotron, conducting experiments to study the properties of particles using a cyclotron, or researching potential applications of cyclotrons in fields such as medicine or energy production.

4. Is a cyclotron a feasible summer project for a high school or undergraduate student?

While building a full-scale cyclotron may not be feasible for a high school or undergraduate student, there are certainly smaller scale projects that could be designed and conducted with the guidance of a teacher or mentor. It is important to have a solid understanding of physics and engineering principles before attempting a project involving a cyclotron.

5. Are there any safety concerns when working with a cyclotron?

Yes, there are safety concerns when working with a cyclotron, as it involves high energy particles and strong magnetic fields. It is important to follow all safety protocols and guidelines when working with a cyclotron, and to receive proper training and supervision.