Summation with binomial coefficients question

In summary, the conversation is about finding the value of a given equation and using two derived equations to solve it. There is also a discussion about a possible error in the derivation process and a suggestion to focus on one of the terms in the double sum to simplify the problem.
AdityaDev

Homework Statement

##\sum\limits_{r=0}^n\frac{1}{^nC_r}=a##. Then find the value of $$\sum\sum\limits_{0\le i<j\le n}(\frac{i}{^nC_i}+\frac{j}{^nC_j})$$

Homework Equations

I have used two equations which I derived myself. This is the first one.
20150430_000946-1-1.jpg

The second one is:
20150430_000435-1.jpg

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Using first equation and second equation:
20150430_001236-1.jpg

Now I have to subtract the cases where I=j to get the required sum. But Iis the above conclusion correct? Because I am not getting the required answer after subtracting.

Attachments

• 20150430_000435-1.jpg
    20150430_000435-1.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 460
  • 20150430_000435-1.jpg
    20150430_000435-1.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 455
  • 20150430_000946-1.jpg
    20150430_000946-1.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 468
Physics news on Phys.org
In the last line of the derivation of your second equation, you have been inconsistent in your substitutions of m for n. Two m's should be m+1.
But I don't understand how you use this equation anyway. a is a function of n, but where you use the equation you seem to be using it as a generic fact for any m, without changing a. I.e. you cannot now substitute n for m as being equal.

Likes AdityaDev
Then how do you find ##(2n+1)\sum\limits_{r=0}^n\frac{r}{^nC_r}##?

AdityaDev said:
Then how do you find ##(2n+1)\sum\limits_{r=0}^n\frac{r}{^nC_r}##?
I haven't solved it myself, yet.
You could try concentrating on one of the two terms in the double sum. You should be able to sum that over the 'other' variable.

Related to Summation with binomial coefficients question

1. What is summation with binomial coefficients?

Summation with binomial coefficients is a mathematical operation that involves adding up a series of numbers that are multiplied by binomial coefficients, which are combinations of numbers. The result of this operation is known as a binomial sum.

2. How do you calculate a binomial sum?

To calculate a binomial sum, you first need to determine the values for the variables in the binomial coefficients. Then, you can use the formula (a + b)^n = Σ(n, k)a^k * b^(n-k), where a and b are the variables, n is the power, and k ranges from 0 to n. Once you have calculated all the terms, you can add them together to get the binomial sum.

3. What are some real-world applications of summation with binomial coefficients?

Summation with binomial coefficients is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as statistics, probability, and computer science. It is also used in finance and economics to model and analyze data. In physics and chemistry, it is used to calculate probabilities and study quantum mechanics.

4. Can you explain the difference between summation and factorial in relation to binomial coefficients?

Summation with binomial coefficients involves adding up a series of terms, while factorial is a mathematical operation that involves multiplying a series of numbers together. In the context of binomial coefficients, summation is used to calculate the binomial sum, while factorial is used to determine the values of the binomial coefficients themselves.

5. Are there any special properties of binomial coefficients that are important to understand for summation?

Yes, there are a few important properties of binomial coefficients to keep in mind when performing summation. These include the symmetry property, which states that the binomial coefficients are symmetrical when written in a triangle form, and the Pascal's triangle property, which shows the relationship between binomial coefficients and their adjacent numbers in a triangle. Understanding these properties can help simplify and speed up calculations for binomial sums.