Exploring Relativity: A Look at the Cover of Slice of Pie's Album

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the picture on the website that shows Einstein on the cover of Slice of Pi's album. The picture is believed to be related to relativity, specifically the photo-electric effect or electromagnetic fields in matter. The vector diagram in the picture represents displacement field (D), magnetic field (H), and the Poynting vector (S). There is also a discussion about the elements on the left side of the picture, which are unclear, and the ellipses on the right side, which are also not clearly understood.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
can someone explain to me what does the picture in the website below describe? (it has to do with something in relativity because there is the picture of einstein in it):
http://www.ts.skwerm.com/mojo/sliceofpi/

btw the picture is the cover of slice of pie's album.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it is more likely dealing with the photo-electric effect, or something dealing with EM fields in matter. The vector diagram looks like it is representing displacement field (D), magnetic field(H), and the Poynting vector. The latter is usually represented by an "S" nowadays, but maybe in 1905 it was represented by a capital Pi.

I can't see the details of the part on the left.

Njorl

and on the right the elipses what are they represent?

I also can't tell my left from my right

1. What is the concept behind the cover of Slice of Pie's album "Exploring Relativity"?

The cover of Slice of Pie's album "Exploring Relativity" is based on the theory of relativity, which was developed by Albert Einstein. This theory explains how time and space are relative to the observer and how gravity affects the fabric of space-time.

2. How does the cover of the album relate to the theory of relativity?

The cover of the album features a distorted image of a clock, which represents the concept of time dilation in the theory of relativity. The clock appears to be melting or stretching, symbolizing how time can be affected by gravity and the observer's relative motion.

3. What is the significance of the apple on the album cover?

The apple on the album cover is a nod to one of the most famous thought experiments used to explain the theory of relativity - the apple falling from a tree. This thought experiment helped Einstein develop his theory of gravity and its relationship to space-time.

4. Is there a deeper meaning behind the album cover's design?

The album cover's design also incorporates elements of surrealism, a movement in art that explores the subconscious mind and challenges the laws of physics. This ties in with the theme of exploring the unknown and pushing the boundaries of understanding, as reflected in the album's title.

5. How does the cover of "Exploring Relativity" reflect Slice of Pie's music?

The cover of "Exploring Relativity" is a perfect representation of Slice of Pie's music, which often delves into complex and abstract concepts. Just like the theory of relativity, their music challenges traditional structures and explores new and innovative ways of thinking about the world.