Summation question within complex numbers

In summary: Thanks for your help by the way!In summary, the sum of the series S1=1 + \frac{x^3}{3!}+\frac{x^6}{6!}+\,\dots can be found by expressing it as a function that satisfies the differential equation f^{(3)}(x)=f(x) with initial conditions f(0)=1, f'(0)=0 and f''(0)=0. The solution to this differential equation is given by f(x)=\frac{1}{3}ex+\frac{2}{3}e\frac{-x}{2}cos(\frac{\sqrt{3}x}{2}).
jj364

Homework Statement

Find the sum of the series

[itex]\displaystyle S_1=1 + \frac{x^3}{3!}+\frac{x^6}{6!}+\,\dots[/itex]

Can't seem to get the bit above to show up nicely, should be 1+x^3/3! +x^6/6! +... Sorry!

Homework Equations

In a prior part of the question I had to find the complex roots of z3-1=0 which I did and got:

1, e[itex]\frac{2\pi}{3}[/itex], e[itex]\frac{4\pi}{3}[/itex]

and then by writing z3-1=0 as being equal to the product of its roots I was able to show that [itex]\omega[/itex]2+[itex]\omega[/itex]+1=0 where [itex]\omega[/itex] is a complex root

The Attempt at a Solution

Using all of this I then have to solve the summation so I'm sure that the prior questions have something to do with solving the summations I'm just not really sure how to relate them. I've only really been able to look at maclaurin series' for various functions but have had no joy as to further inspiration.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jj364 said:

Homework Statement

S1=1 + [itex]\frac{x3}{3!}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{x6}{6!}[/itex] +...

Can't seem to get the bit above to show up nicely, should be 1+x^3/3! +x^6/6! +... Sorry!

Homework Equations

In a prior part of the question I had to find the complex roots of z3-1=0 which I did and got:

and then by writing z3-1=0 as being equal to the product of its roots I was able to show that [itex]\omega[/itex]2+[itex]\omega[/itex]+1=0 where [itex]\omega[/itex] is a complex root

Using all of this I then have to solve the summation so I'm sure that the prior questions have something to do with solving the summations I'm just not really sure how to relate them. I've only really been able to look at maclaurin series' for various functions but have had no joy as to further inspiration.

You can't put LaTeX in a [ SUP] superscript.

Do the whole expression in LaTeX.

[ itex]\displaystyle S_1=1 + \frac{x^3}{3!}+\frac{x^6}{6!}+\,\dots[/itex]

gives

Ah thanks! Makes it a lot easier to read. Not so good at LaTeX!

The above looks awfully like the exponential series in the sense that it only has multiples of 3 as its summation values as a difference. In fact, if you look at the sum you want to find and express it as a function of x, you'll see that it satisfies the differential equation [itex]f^{(3)}(x)=f(x)[/itex] with initial conditions f(0)=1, f'(0)=0 and f''(0)=0. Can you solve this?

(Note: You actually have to solve the equation [itex]x^3-1=0[/itex] during the solution to this differential equation, so it reveals the purpose of the previous exercise.)

Last edited:
jj364 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The sum above is not easy. You can find it by entering sum(x^(3*k)/(3*k)!,k=0..infinity) into a computer algebra system such as Maple or Wolfram Alpha. Give it a try.

Millennial said:
The above looks awfully like the exponential series in the sense that it only has multiples of 3 as its summation values as a difference. In fact, if you look at the sum you want to find and express it as a function of x, you'll see that it satisfies the differential equation [itex]f^{(3)}(x)=f(x)[/itex] with initial conditions f(0)=1, f'(0)=0 and f''(0)=0. Can you solve this?

(Note: You actually have to solve the equation [itex]x^3-1=0[/itex] during the solution to this differential equation, so it reveals the purpose of the previous exercise.)

I just solved the question using this method and compared it with Mathematica's and WolframAlpha's answers, and it checks out. Another tip if you need it: Take the Laplace transform of both sides.

I'm still a little confused I think. I managed to get the the differential equation whose auxiliary equation is m^3-1=0 which is what I solved in the previous section but for complex numbers not real, or does it not matter?

Because if I use my solutions for z^3-1=0 then I end up with very funny answers. Or do I have to take real components? Just quite confused as to where I actually go from here to get an answer?

jj364 said:
I'm still a little confused I think. I managed to get the the differential equation whose auxiliary equation is m^3-1=0 which is what I solved in the previous section but for complex numbers not real, or does it not matter?

Because if I use my solutions for z^3-1=0 then I end up with very funny answers. Or do I have to take real components? Just quite confused as to where I actually go from here to get an answer?

Well, the method I suggested was using the Laplace transform. I wouldn't know about other methods, but your one seems like it'd work to me. The funny answers you end up with, try finding trigonometric patterns inside them.

Ok I think I've worked it out now, I wrote out the differential equation and the auxiliary equation gave me answers of

m=Aex + Bex([itex]\frac{-1}{2}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/itex]) + Cex([itex]\frac{-1}{2}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{-\sqrt{3}}{2}[/itex])

Which I can solve using initial conditions to get A=B=C=1/3 so the final sum is

S(x)=[itex]\frac{1}{3}[/itex]ex+[itex]\frac{2}{3}[/itex]e[itex]\frac{-x}{2}[/itex]cos([itex]\frac{\sqrt{3}x}{2}[/itex])

Is this right?

jj364 said:
Ok I think I've worked it out now, I wrote out the differential equation and the auxiliary equation gave me answers of

m=Aex + Bex([itex]\frac{-1}{2}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/itex]) + Cex([itex]\frac{-1}{2}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{-\sqrt{3}}{2}[/itex])

S(x)=[itex]\frac{1}{3}[/itex]ex+[itex]\frac{2}{3}[/itex]e[itex]\frac{-x}{2}[/itex]cos([itex]\frac{\sqrt{3}x}{2}[/itex])

Is this right?
(I feel like I'm playing the role of Mr. LaTeX here!) LOL!

Fracional exponents ---difficult to read:
Using \frac{}{} for fractions in superscripts in LaTeX inline mode is bad enough. Putting a LaTeX \frac{}{} in a SUPerscript tag [] make reading even harder.

I like to use the \displaystyle modifier & do the whole expression in LaTeX:
[itex]\displaystyle \large m=Ae^x+Be^{x\left(\frac{-1}{2}+\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\right)}+Ce^{x\left(\frac{-1}{2}+\frac{-\sqrt{3}}{2}\right)}[/itex]​
(I also bumped up the size one notch to make the exponents somewhat readable.)

For fractional exponents with simple denominators, using / rather than ]frac{}{} works well in normal size.
[itex]\displaystyle S(x)=\frac{1}{3}e^x+\frac{2}{3}e^{-x/2}\cos\left( \frac{\sqrt{3\,}\,x}{2}\right)[/itex]​

Hint:

Notice that [tex]e^z + e^{-z} = 2 \left(1 + \frac{1}{3!} z^2 + \frac{1}{4!} z^4 + \dots \right)[/tex]
because the odd-numbered terms in the power series cancel.

This is a standard trick with power series; to isolate the even powers of z in the series for f(z), just consider f(z) + f(-z).

Now, what would happen if we looked at the series [tex]e^z + e^{\omega z} + e^{\omega^2 z}[/tex] where [itex]\omega= \exp(2 \pi i / 3)[/itex]?
Some of the terms in the power series will cancel. Which terms will cancel, and which terms will remain?

jj364 said:

Is this right?

Indeed it is.

Related to Summation question within complex numbers

1. What is a summation question within complex numbers?

A summation question within complex numbers involves adding or subtracting complex numbers together. Complex numbers are made up of a real component and an imaginary component, and can be represented as a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

2. How do you solve a summation question within complex numbers?

To solve a summation question within complex numbers, you must first combine like terms. This means adding or subtracting the real components and the imaginary components separately. Once you have combined like terms, you can simplify the expression to get your final answer.

3. Can you use the distributive property in summation questions within complex numbers?

Yes, the distributive property can be used in summation questions within complex numbers. This property states that a(b + c) = ab + ac, where a, b, and c are any numbers. This can be applied to complex numbers to simplify expressions.

4. What is the difference between a summation question and a multiplication question within complex numbers?

A summation question involves adding or subtracting complex numbers together, while a multiplication question involves multiplying complex numbers together. The result of a summation question is a single complex number, while the result of a multiplication question is a product of two complex numbers.

5. How can I check if my answer to a summation question within complex numbers is correct?

To check if your answer to a summation question within complex numbers is correct, you can use a calculator or do the calculation by hand. You can also convert the complex numbers to polar form and use the properties of complex numbers in polar form to check your answer.