Summation or torque and forces

In summary, the problem involves a painter standing on a ladder against a wall, and the goal is to find the force of friction exerted by the driveway on the bottom of the ladder. Using the equations for static equilibrium and torque, the normal force of the wall is found to be equal to the force of friction. To find the torque, similar triangles are used to calculate the hypotenuse of the smaller triangle, which is then used to find the ratio needed to solve for the normal force. The use of similar triangles is a crucial skill in solving this problem.
Jbreezy

Homework Statement

A house painter stands 3 m above the ground on a 5.0 m long ladder that leans against the wall at a point 4.7 m above the ground. The painter weighs 651 N and the ladder weighs 140 N. Assuming no friction between the house and the upper end of the ladder, find the force of friction that the driveway exerts on the bottom of the ladder.

Homework Equations

Ʃ F = 0
Ʃ τ = 0 , where T is torque we use tau in my book I can't find the symbol.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been at this for some time. I'm stuck I looked at my solution after 2 hours. I understand that the normal force of the wall is equal to the force of friction when you sum the forces in the x direction.
Now you can find the torque
τ = Nw(4.7) - W1(2.5)cos(theta) - Wp(3.0/4.7)(5.0)cos(theta)
I understand this what they are doing in general I can see you will solve for the Nw (normal force of wall). I really am having a hard time with the part I have in bold. I don't know what this ratio is. I also think that I'm having issues with the line of action. If someone could please explain this to me.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Jbreezy said:

Homework Statement

A house painter stands 3 m above the ground on a 5.0 m long ladder that leans against the wall at a point 4.7 m above the ground. The painter weighs 651 N and the ladder weighs 140 N. Assuming no friction between the house and the upper end of the ladder, find the force of friction that the driveway exerts on the bottom of the ladder.

Homework Equations

Ʃ F = 0
Ʃ τ = 0 , where T is torque we use tau in my book I can't find the symbol.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been at this for some time. I'm stuck I looked at my solution after 2 hours. I understand that the normal force of the wall is equal to the force of friction when you sum the forces in the x direction.
Now you can find the torque
τ = Nw(4.7) - W1(2.5)cos(theta) - Wp(3.0/4.7)(5.0)cos(theta)
I understand this what they are doing in general I can see you will solve for the Nw (normal force of wall). I really am having a hard time with the part I have in bold. I don't know what this ratio is. I also think that I'm having issues with the line of action. If someone could please explain this to me.
Thanks

It's about similar triangles.

Let's start with the big triangle.
Hypotenuse: 5 m.
Opposite: 4.7 m.
Adjacent: Well, we haven't calculated that. But we could if we wanted to.

The triangle that being worked with regarding the part you bold faced, is a similar triangle. It has the same shape as the big triangle, but it's smaller. It starts at the same corner of the ladder meets the ground, but it ends up at where the painter is standing (not all the way to the wall).

You know the painter stands 3 m above the ground. The key phrase here is above the ground. That's not 3 m along the ladder, so you know that that 3 m is not the hypotenuse. It's the Opposite of the smaller triangle. But if you want to be consistent with using the cosine function (to find the adjacent), you'll need to calculate the hypotenuse of the smaller triangle. You can do that using similar triangles, and that's where the (3.0)(5.0/4.7)* comes from.

*(I took the liberty of rearranging the terms a little here)

Thanks. I appreciate it. Honestly I never had similar triangles. Which is horrible I need to learn it. It is a skill that cannot be ignored.

Related to Summation or torque and forces

1. What is summation or torque?

Summation or torque refers to the rotational force that is applied to an object. It is the product of the force applied and the distance from the pivot point or axis of rotation.

2. How is torque calculated?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the applied force by the distance from the pivot point. The formula for torque is T = F x r, where T is torque, F is force, and r is the distance from the pivot point.

3. What is the difference between torque and force?

While both torque and force involve the application of a physical force, they differ in their direction and effects. Force is a linear push or pull, while torque is a rotational force. Additionally, force can cause linear motion, while torque causes rotational motion.

4. How does torque affect an object's motion?

Torque can cause an object to rotate or change its rotational speed. The greater the torque applied, the more the object will rotate. If the torque is applied in the opposite direction of the existing rotational motion, it can slow down or stop the object's rotation.

5. What are some real-world applications of torque and forces?

Torque and forces are essential in many everyday activities, such as opening a door, driving a car, or riding a bike. They are also important in industrial processes, such as manufacturing machinery and construction equipment. In the field of physics, torque and forces are crucial in understanding rotational motion and designing machines and structures.