Mastering Capacitors: A Comprehensive Guide to Understanding and Troubleshooting

• Thread starter cala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitors
In summary, the device is meant to add voltage to the capacitor, but not allow the capacitor to discharge into the device.
cala
Hello everybody.

Can't surrender so much easy... Take a look to this:

www.geocities.com/k_pullo/suppose.htm

You know the process: tell where do you see the faults, and then i will understand somethings, but new doubts will come to my mind.

Thanks for all your support in physics, you're making a good job into my understanding, first on centrifugal-centripetal, then on magnets and finally into electrostatics. Will it be the end?... SURE NOT!

Physics news on Phys.org
Cala said:

"1 - You have some kind of device that makes 12 V voltage difference between two points, but no current can go through this device, so it never discharges. From the 12 V point you connect a 12 V charged capacitor, then a LOAD, and then two parallel 6V charged capacitors."

Then your resistor is under 6 v potential, right? Thus, the current I=6v/R is passing via loop - source and all capacitors. This contradicts to your requirement of "no current can go through this device".

What i mean is that the 12 V device force the capacitor to discharge through the load.

What i want the device to do is add voltage to the capacitor, but avoiding this capacitor to discharge to that part of the circuit. (keep the voltage, but without current allowed to flow).

I mean, the 12 V capacitor is not allowed to discharge into the device, but the device force the capacitor to see 12 V added to its internal 12 V, so it discharges to the right side, not to the left.

Is there not a method to put some point into 12 V without allowing any current going back?

How can you have non-zero voltage on a resistor and zero current via it? This simply would mean that the resistance is infinite (no resistor in your circuit, just open circuit (discontinuity) in this place).

1. Charged capacitors in sequence cause voltage on resistor to be sum: 24V
2. Current flows only when circuit is closed, same current must flow in both of left capacitors. If your leftmost capacitor does not offer current, its internal resistence is infinite, and no current will ever flow. You can't 'discharge' upper capacitor.
3. There is no source to recharge upper capacitor to 24V potential.
Add +/- signs to capacitors to better understand what happens.
4. Capacitors store charge. When you divide it to two capacitors, each will have half of it. Your rightside capacitors will have each half of charge. When you further use one of them to 'recharge' upper cap, it will again have half of that half. You loose charge, whatever you think of voltage games.
5. If your load does any work, there is no way you could get 12V on rightside capacitors. It will be less by amount of voltage drop over the load resistor.
You might get this thing to work for 2-3 cicles, but then it would be empty by any measure.

Finally, what you try is like take few bottles, try shuffling water around them in different ways, and hope to have same amount of water in bottles although draining some of it out to the sink (resistor)..

1. What are capacitors and how do they work?

Capacitors are electronic components that store electrical energy in the form of an electric field. They consist of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric. When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged. This creates an electric field between the plates, which stores energy. The amount of energy a capacitor can store is determined by its capacitance, which is measured in farads.

2. How do I choose the right capacitor for my circuit?

Choosing the right capacitor for a circuit depends on several factors, including the required capacitance, voltage rating, and tolerance. Capacitors also come in different types, such as ceramic, electrolytic, and film capacitors, each with their own advantages and limitations. It is important to carefully consider the specifications and requirements of your circuit to choose the most suitable capacitor.

3. What are the common problems and troubleshooting techniques for capacitors?

Some common problems with capacitors include malfunctioning, leakage, and short circuits. These can be caused by factors such as incorrect installation, overheating, or aging. To troubleshoot these issues, it is important to check the capacitor's physical condition, measure its capacitance and resistance, and test it in different circuits. In some cases, replacing the capacitor may be necessary.

4. Can capacitors be dangerous?

Capacitors can store a significant amount of electrical energy, and if not handled properly, they can be dangerous. High voltage capacitors can cause electric shocks and burns, while large capacitors can even explode if they are damaged or overcharged. It is important to follow safety precautions and handle capacitors with caution.

5. How can I extend the lifespan of capacitors?

The lifespan of capacitors can be extended by using them within their specified ratings, avoiding overheating, and protecting them from high voltages and physical damage. Regular maintenance and testing can also help identify any potential issues and prevent premature failure. It is also important to choose high-quality capacitors from reputable manufacturers to ensure their reliability and durability.