Summation of a series of bessel functions

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem about proving a mathematical expression involving Bessel functions. The speaker mentions reading a paper on quantum spin chains and finding a compact expression without explanation. They also mention struggling to find a simpler proof and provide some resources and formulas that may be helpful.
JertLankster
The problem is to prove the following:

[tex]\sum_{m>0}J_{j+m}(x)J_{j+m+n}(x) = \frac{x}{2n}\left(J_{j+1}(x)J_{j+n}(x) - J_{j}(x)J_{j+n+1}(x)\right).[/tex]

Now for the rambling...

I've been reading for a while, but this is my first post. Did a quick search, but I didn't find anything relevant. I could have missed it, though.

I was reading a paper on quantum spin chains (Antal et al, Phys. Rev E, 59, 4912 (1999)) and a series of Bessel functions suddenly turned into a compact expression (shown above) without any mention of what was done. If you have access to the journal, this appears in the appendix on the last page... eq. (B2).

As a good chunk of the paper dealt with the details of evaluating the asymptotics of another series, it makes me think I really missed something simple since they just inserted this result without even a reference to Abramowitz/Stegun or Gradshteyn. After a month or so of being involved with this stuff, I came up with an extremely cumbersome "proof." I am by no means an expert on Bessel functions, so I just thought I'd ask if anyone who is more familiar with these manipulations knows a slick way to sum that series that doesn't take 2 pages. As an interesting corollary, if you differentiate the series, use some recurrence relations, and then equate it to the given result, you wind up with

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\int_{0}^{x}\left(J_{j+1}(x')J_{j+n}(x')+J_{j}(x')J_{j+n+1}(x')\right)dx' = \frac{x}{2n}\left(J_{j+1}(x)J_{j+n}(x)-J_{j}(x)J_{j+n+1}(x)\right).[/tex]

I haven't been able to find a direct proof for this either... don't know which part is easier to attack, but I thought it was worth a mention.Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Summation of a series of bessel functions

1. What is the summation of a series of Bessel functions?

The summation of a series of Bessel functions refers to the process of adding together multiple Bessel functions to obtain a single function. This is commonly done in mathematical and scientific calculations involving wave phenomena, such as in the study of electromagnetism and fluid dynamics.

2. What are Bessel functions?

Bessel functions are a type of special functions in mathematics that are used to describe oscillatory phenomena. They are named after the mathematician Friedrich Bessel and are widely used in various areas of physics, engineering, and applied mathematics.

3. How are Bessel functions related to the summation of a series?

Bessel functions are often used in the summation of a series because they have the unique property of being eigenfunctions of certain differential operators. This means that they can be used to simplify the solution of differential equations and can be easily added together to obtain a single function.

4. What are some applications of the summation of a series of Bessel functions?

The summation of a series of Bessel functions has many applications in physics and engineering. It is commonly used in the analysis of electromagnetic fields, heat transfer, and fluid dynamics. It is also used in the solution of boundary value problems and in the study of wave phenomena.

5. Is there a general formula for the summation of a series of Bessel functions?

Yes, there is a general formula for the summation of a series of Bessel functions, known as the Bessel summation formula. It involves a special function called the Bessel transform, which allows for the efficient calculation of the summation. However, the specific form of the summation will depend on the specific problem being solved.