Summation notation and general relativity derivatives

In summary, Ibix says that the notation "partial_\beta" is not generally correct, but that it can be used to define the derivative of a metric if the indices on the symbol "delta" are consistent. He also says that the derivative is contravariant in the same way as the symbol "partial".
right, that sorted it, cheers
is there any way that ##A_\mu \partial_\alpha A^\mu - A_\alpha \partial^\rho A^\rho## can be simplified as well or are the indices too different in this case. It seems to me that it can't be simplified

Physics news on Phys.org
Maniac_XOX said:
right, that sorted it, cheers
is there any way that ##A_\mu \partial_\alpha A^\mu - A_\alpha \partial^\rho A^\rho## can be simplified as well or are the indices too different in this case. It seems to me that it can't be simplified
Do you mean? $$A_\mu \partial_\alpha A^\mu - A_\alpha \partial_\rho A^\rho$$

You can standardise the dummy indices:$$A_\mu \partial_\alpha A^\mu - A_\alpha \partial_\mu A^\mu$$ But, as one summation is over partial derivatives and one summation is over the components of ##A##, there's nothing meaningful to be done.

PeroK said:

You can standardise the dummy indices:$$A_\mu \partial_\alpha A^\mu - A_\alpha \partial_\mu A^\mu$$ But, as one summation is over partial derivatives and one summation is over the components of ##A##, there's nothing meaningful to be done.
right, that still helped tbh, learned a lot since this whole indices thing has been seriously new to me and trying to learn how to use general relativity has been like trying to start in a new language lol, cheers for the help

Likes PeroK
PeroK said:

Would it make sense to use Lorenz gauge condition ##\partial_\mu A^\mu=0## and turn the equations of motion into $$\Box A_\alpha + \mu^2 A_\alpha = 2\beta A_\mu \partial _\alpha A^\mu + \frac {4\pi}{c} J_\alpha$$ and then use the ##\partial_\alpha## as gauge covariant derivative expanding it into ##\partial_\alpha - i q A_\alpha -i q B_\alpha## ?? Or is that only for ##D_\alpha##? I've seen it being used in both notations on wikipedia