Summation Limits: Understanding When a>b

In summary, the interpretation of a summation where a > b is not entirely clear, but it is often assumed to be zero. However, in certain applications, it may be useful to interpret it differently.
EngWiPy
Hello,

If we get a summation [tex]\sum_{r=a}^{b}[/tex], where a > b, how to treat this summation?

Regards

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't know if it is official notation, but I think it is usually interpret it as just

[tex]\sum_{r = b}^a[/tex]

Really? I'd interpret it as 0. That is, I take
[tex]\sum_{n=a}^bf(n)[/tex]
as shorthand for
[tex]\sum_{n\in\mathbb{Z},a\le n\le b}f(n)[/tex]

CRGreathouse said:
Really? I'd interpret it as 0. That is, I take
[tex]\sum_{n=a}^bf(n)[/tex]
as shorthand for
[tex]\sum_{n\in\mathbb{Z},a\le n\le b}f(n)[/tex]

What is zero, the whole summation, or the index r?

saeddawoud said:
What is zero, the whole summation, or the index r?

The whole summation.

To perform a sum, you start with zero, then for each value of n that satisfies the condition specified, you add f(n). In this case, there are no such values of n, so the answer remains zero.

That's my interpretation at least. But there may be other opinions.

Incidentally, some computer languages such as C work similarly. A loop of the form for(n=10; n<0; n++) is never executed.

Most of the time, it's best to assume the summation is zero, but it really depends on your application. If a sum like this pops up somewhere for some reason, you should interpret it in context to see if it makes sense at all.

In some cases, for instance in finite calculus, it might be more useful to interpret it slightly differently. It is well known that

[tex]\int_a^b f(x) dx = -\!\!\!\int_b^a f(x) dx,[/tex]

and since integrals are sort of like infinite sums, perhaps sums should work similarly. If [tex]a < b < c[/tex], we have

[tex]\sum_{k = a}^b f(k) + \sum_{k = b + 1}^c f(k) = \sum_{k = a}^c f(k).[/tex]

It might be nice to extend this to cases other than [tex]a < b < c[/tex]. For example, we would have

[tex]\sum_{k = a}^{b - 1} f(k) + \sum_{k = b}^a f(k) = \sum_{k = a}^a f(k) = f(a),[/tex]

which would imply that

[tex]\sum_{k = b}^a = f(a) - \sum_{k = a}^{b - 1} = -\!\!\!\sum_{k = a + 1}^{b - 1}.[/tex]

We would then have

[tex]\sum_{k = a}^{a - 1} f(k) = 0,[/tex]

but

[tex]\sum_{k = a}^{a - 2} f(k) = -f(a - 1).[/tex]

Which interpretation you should choose is up to the application.

Last edited:

Related to Summation Limits: Understanding When a>b

1. What is the definition of summation limits?

Summation limits refer to the upper and lower bounds that determine the range of values to be included in a summation or series. These limits are denoted by the letters a and b, where a is the lower limit and b is the upper limit.

2. How do you know when a>b for summation limits?

For summation limits, a is always the smaller value and b is the larger value. This means that a must be less than b for the summation to be valid. If a is greater than b, the summation will be considered as having no terms and will result in a value of 0.

3. Can a and b be negative numbers for summation limits?

Yes, a and b can be negative numbers for summation limits as long as a is the smaller value and b is the larger value. This means that the summation will include all values from a to b, including negative numbers, in ascending order.

4. What happens if the values of a and b are the same for summation limits?

If a and b are the same value, it means that there is only one term in the summation and the value of that term will be the result of the summation. This is because there are no values between a and b to be included in the summation.

5. Can a and b be fractions or decimals for summation limits?

Yes, a and b can be fractions or decimals for summation limits as long as a is the smaller value and b is the larger value. This means that the summation will include all values from a to b, including fractions and decimals, in ascending order.